584,854 active members*
4,336 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Diy CNC v3 - Almost finished build

Hi guys,

This is my diy machine, i took me about 1 1/2 Years to get to this point, major changes which are still pending are changing the ballscrews on Y to driven ballnuts, building a proper box for the electronics and various smaller changes.

The machine is running quite reliable now every day.

First some more recent videos i took:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6b2DS13RI4&feature=player_embedded"]video[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFdsruCi1MI]DIY CNC v3 Routing nautilus casemod molds - YouTube[/ame]

Some Pics:

And here are links to the two build logs i wrote:

German ( starts of english aswell )

[Tagebuch] DIY CNC - Status: V3 Neues Video mit Xbox Controller etc.

and the english Version

Modding Project: DIY CNC - V3 New video showing new features ( Xbox controller etc. ) - Page 20 - bit-tech.net Forums

Please feel free to ask any questions regarding this build, but please dont ask me why it actually does work, i dont have a clue about that either

I just realised that i opened this Thread in the wrong sub forum, can anyone please move it to: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/cnc_wo...r_project_log/ Thanks !

Very nice work! Your machine is one of the best 80/20 builds I have seen yet. Especially with the ballscrews. I look forward to reading thru your build log.

Quote Originally Posted by crane550 View Post
    Very nice work! Your machine is one of the best 80/20 builds I have seen yet. Especially with the ballscrews. I look forward to reading thru your build log.
    Thanks Crane, right now theres only one major design flaw left, as mentioned the y ballscrews are too long, but im gonna fix that in the next weeks

Lenne-

I read through your build log, incredible job! You have inspired me to start on my own machine.
    Quick technical question, how are the THK SSR blocks working so far? I have a set that I want to use for the z-axis yet I have read they are best to be mounted horizontally. Much appreciated!
    Cheers!

Lenne,

it was your log at bt that pushed me over the edge... now i find myself getting bits and pieces together and spending most of my days here...

great build!

Quote Originally Posted by DFT209 View Post
    Lenne-

I read through your build log, incredible job! You have inspired me to start on my own machine.
    Quick technical question, how are the THK SSR blocks working so far? I have a set that I want to use for the z-axis yet I have read they are best to be mounted horizontally. Much appreciated!
    Cheers!
    Thx Mate

I really cant say anything specific about the blocks, all of them work perfectly with no play at all.

I think it doesnt really matter because im running them way out of specification, they are made for much heavier applications.

Theres a huge update coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by kinghong1970 View Post
    Lenne,

it was your log at bt that pushed me over the edge... now i find myself getting bits and pieces together and spending most of my days here...

great build!
    Do it ! the reward will be awesomeness just one general tip: keep it simle, if it seems overly complicated, redo it untill its as simple as possible, that helped me alot.

Quote Originally Posted by kartleyBecil View Post
    it was your log at bt that pushed me over the edge
    Pls relink ur Pics, i wanna see them

Hi there Lenne,

You did an amazing work.
    I've been following you're thread on BT for a while now and every time I take a look I can't stop drewling. It sounds promising for the next mods you'll work on.

[off topic]
    I intend to build one and I was wondering if by any chance you would like to sell some parts of you're V1 ?
    [/off topic]

Z

Quote Originally Posted by Zm@steR View Post
    Hi there Lenne,

You did an amazing work.
    I've been following you're thread on BT for a while now and every time I take a look I can't stop drewling. It sounds promising for the next mods you'll work on.

[off topic]
    I intend to build one and I was wondering if by any chance you would like to sell some parts of you're V1 ?
    [/off topic]

Z
    cheers ! i dont think theres much left from v1 really

I can only tell u one thing, the next update is going to be huge, i changed heaps n heaps

Quote Originally Posted by lenne0815 View Post
    cheers ! i dont think theres much left from v1 really
    Too bad. Well at least if you could just give me few tips on where did you buy your mecanical parts,
    I've been looking around and can't manage to find linear bearings and rods at the price and size you did.

I can only tell u one thing, the next update is going to be huge, i changed heaps n heaps
    Some new changes... again... hope we'll see them soon.

I didnt update this for a long time because the conversion to driven ball nuts took quiet a long time ( longer than i did expect atleast ) and i had some major problems with it, which are fixed now mostly.

im still far from the speeds i did want to achieve and as it looks like i really need bigger steppers for the driven ball nuts.

anyway there are some nice improvements: speed is up from 2200mm m to 3000mm m but now the more important factor: acceleration is way up from 80 to over 350 and thereby 3d code runs alot faster.

some pics:

acceleration is way up from 80 to over 350 and thereby 3d code runs a lot faster
    Where's the video?
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Where's the video?
    ill do it, i PROMISE do u se the black plastic piece with the aluminium cylinder sitting roughly at 50%y ? thats my touchplate for your script.

Unfortunately i did an G0 with an 8mm end mill bit into it, so theres... a bit of a hole

Heres the video !

excuse my german accent, its just very german

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEZ4pLNmf7U]Setup stock on the DIY CNC v3 - YouTube[/ame]

Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by lenne0815 View Post
    Hi guys,

This is my diy machine, i took me about 1 1/2 Years to get to this point
    Looks like that was one worthwhile year and a half.
    Amazing job! looks very professional.
    Hurco KMB1 Build
    Wholesale Tool 3in1 conversion
    C-Constant
    N-Nonworking
    C-Contraption

And another vid routing Aluminium, now with a proper clamping setup ( and awesome music from Pulsar )

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fniGaD7Pk00]DIY CNC v3 - Routing aluminium second vid - YouTube[/ame]

looks good, what router bit are you using? what cam software?

Quote Originally Posted by Zygoat View Post
    looks good, what router bit are you using? what cam software?
    6mm 3flute carbide bit.

Rhinocam, if it comes to price and cad integration nothing beats it ( when ur using rhino for drawing ) besides it really outputs the cleanest Gcode ive seen so far, beating mastercam atleast @ 2.5d operations by a huge margin.

yesterday i reinforced the z axis, im doing a lot of aluminium lately and the rigidity of the z assembly was more than lacking...

Got two 7075 5mm aluminium plates which are the same length as the moving part of the z axis.
    Drilled and routed them to support the spindle holder

finished them and taped them to the old z part

Filled the whole thing with foam ( this is far from ideal, but better than nothing )

And put it all back on

I couldn really test it yesterday but it already felt a lot stiffer, bit exited to do some tests today

If ure wondering what all this cnc building has led to, have a look @ TD Longboards