584,865 active members*
4,913 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

?? FOR JIM COLT

Hey Jim, Curly from CURLY'S WELDING, I have a 3 year old power max 1000 (great machine,no problems) on a 5 by 10 ez router table. I have cut half inch with little or no problems. I tried 5/8 once but would not pierce. Now I have one of the shops in town that want me to cut some 9/16 flanges. They are 36 inches round, two of them are doors and two of them are the matching flanges, they will be welded to tanks as manholes at the refinery. we plan on drilling all the bolt holes. Needles to say I'm a little nervous. When I cut half inch I pierce at .20 and cut at .12. and travel at 22 ipm. Just wondering what you might recommend for settings on 9/16 inch. Forgot to say I have THC mach 3 and sheetcam. One of my other issues is when I cut 1/2 inch I usually have to turn off the THC or it wants to lower itself to the metal when it comes to a corner or cuts a round hole. It's usually not a problem because 1/2 inch won't warp, but now that I'm going to be cutting 36 inch round I sure would like to have the THC working, it works great on 3/8 and thinner. I don't know if this makes sense but it seems when I get to the slower travel speeds is when the THC get's a mind of its own. Let me know what you think. THANKS,,,,,,,,,CURLY

Also forgot to mention my arc volts are at 144 and motion delay at 1. Now that I look at the chart I see they recommend 1.5, might be a good place to start. What do you think?? THANKS,,,,,,,CURLY

Curly,

You should not have any trouble piercing 5/8" with the Powermax1000.....I used one for years on my PlasmaCam....the key is to get the pierce height as high as possible and an adequate pierce delay (motion delay) so that the arc penetrates completely before any x, y or z motion starts.

On 9/16" I would suggest at least a .22 to .24" pierce height, and a pierce delay of about 1.6 seconds.Use the 60 amp shielded consumables....and spray a little mig welding anti spatter spray on top of the plate where the pierce will occur...as well as a coating on the shield on the torch.

Cut speed on 9/16" should be right at 20 ipm.

The diving in the corners can be stopped with a setting in your Mach3 that freezes the height control whenever the cutting speed gets below 80% of the program speed. I know the setting is in there...but I am no expert on Mach3 systems....so you will have to consulat with someone that is!

The diving is due to x and y slowing on small radiuses....the arc voltage rises when the speed slows...and the THC moves the torch closer to the plate to try to maintain the preset voltage. On a larger radius this should not be a problem. You could also increase corner speed or increase acceleration gain settings if those are available.

I am building a Mach3 based machine in the spring (I already have all of the components), but until then I do not know much about this motion control software!

Best regards, Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by curlyweld View Post
    Hey Jim, Curly from CURLY'S WELDING, I have a 3 year old power max 1000 (great machine,no problems) on a 5 by 10 ez router table. I have cut half inch with little or no problems. I tried 5/8 once but would not pierce. Now I have one of the shops in town that want me to cut some 9/16 flanges. They are 36 inches round, two of them are doors and two of them are the matching flanges, they will be welded to tanks as manholes at the refinery. we plan on drilling all the bolt holes. Needles to say I'm a little nervous. When I cut half inch I pierce at .20 and cut at .12. and travel at 22 ipm. Just wondering what you might recommend for settings on 9/16 inch. Forgot to say I have THC mach 3 and sheetcam. One of my other issues is when I cut 1/2 inch I usually have to turn off the THC or it wants to lower itself to the metal when it comes to a corner or cuts a round hole. It's usually not a problem because 1/2 inch won't warp, but now that I'm going to be cutting 36 inch round I sure would like to have the THC working, it works great on 3/8 and thinner. I don't know if this makes sense but it seems when I get to the slower travel speeds is when the THC get's a mind of its own. Let me know what you think. THANKS,,,,,,,,,CURLY

Thanks Jim, that all makes sense,I think my biggest mistake was the motion delay. I will try your recommendations and practice a little more on half inch until the 9/16 plate gets here. Also I will call ez router and ask about the mach setting. THANKS AGAIN,,,,,,,,,CURLY