584,865 active members*
5,018 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Cleaning up angle iron edge

Question Cleaning up angle iron edge

I Am planning to use 1.5 x 1.5 Angle iron as a guide for v groove bearings I need to clean up the outside edges. The bearings prefer a 90 Degree surface but i probally could get by with smoothing and cleaning up. Any ideas on how to do this.

Mark Van,

I know many people frown on using anything that isn't hardened or really expensive. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one using off the shelf stuff from the steel yard to make things. I am using 1.5" square steel tubing for rails on one of my projects. So far, so good.

I'm sure others will chime in with other ways to do this. (I hope so anyway.) But I have had success using a bastard file and some elbow grease for similar tasks. I needed a nice edge for a sheetmetal brake that I made awhile back. In that case, I used an angle grinder to get close and then used a file to clean it up and get the edge that I was after.

I have also read in other posts that if you just use it the way it is, over time the bearings will "seat" on the edge and end up acceptable. Of course you will have to adjust for this as they seat.

Just my 2.5 cents.

Dave

I have also read in other posts that if you just use it the way it is, over time the bearings will "seat" on the edge and end up acceptable.
    Yep thats me. Because the bearings are hardened steel and the angle is unhardened. you will find the rails seat quickly and then stabilize and dont weat down any more.

Slack method, but works.