585,753 active members*
4,527 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > x axis grd align failure!

x axis grd align failure!

When I got to align the machine it comes up with a fault...

Cause:the grid align for the X axis completed its alignment move without finding a marker pluse.

Remedy:check the encoder wiring and marker pluse setup. The maker pluse setup is located in the servo configuration axis data. The index invert A and indexs B fields must be correctly set or the marker pluse may be missed.

Can someone help me get this back online?

Assuming the machine was working and noone made changes to the setup pages to cause this problem....

Most align failures are caused by issues with the limit switches used for homing the machine. The machines use a roller switch to locate the align position. The plunger on these switches sticks over time, so the signal does not get to the control at the proper time to allow the align procedure to complete.

Use Contact Cleaner (or similar) to clean the plunger while actuating it manually until it moves freely. Once the plunger doesn't stick, your problem will most likely disappear.

The plunger does not seem to be sticking. I will open it up and check it while it is aligning. I does go onto the limit switch a couple of times while aligning and the x axis appears to stop where it should. I check all the wires to the resolver(or encoder) they where fairly corroded cleaned them and I am installing the motor.

do u have a linear scale? most likely. so it is not the motor resolver that is issue.... if motor resolver issue, then motor wont ever go around right. find ur linear scale and check/clean it....

I dont know what the linear scale is? Where is it located? Mabye I jumped the gun on the resolver because of the last resovler issue.... I ordered one from denis yesterday.

We adjusted the limit switch and seems to be fine now....???

May make perfect sense! remember how it works.... run to HOME sw, then either go on further to the scale's marker pulse and stop and call home - or hit home sw, then reverse and go back the way it came to next marker pulse. In either case, if HOME sw is in wrong position it can cause routine to fail - it is only HALF of the routine.

if home sw too far toward end of travel, the end of travel limit sw may trip before the continued motion finds marker pulse. If too close to end of travel ls, it may trip that before the home swicth and cause failure.

if sw is adjusted right on top of the scales marker pulse, it may not see the marker pulse and fail. Or maybe adjusted PAST the marker pulse so it can never find it continuing on.

so adjusing home sw and now machine working can make perfect sense....

Re: x axis grd align failure!

Quote Originally Posted by maver1ck View Post
    Assuming the machine was working and noone made changes to the setup pages to cause this problem....

Most align failures are caused by issues with the limit switches used for homing the machine. The machines use a roller switch to locate the align position. The plunger on these switches sticks over time, so the signal does not get to the control at the proper time to allow the align procedure to complete.

Use Contact Cleaner (or similar) to clean the plunger while actuating it manually until it moves freely. Once the plunger doesn't stick, your problem will most likely disappear.
    Hi Mav, I'm getting the same problem but it's starting to get worse. My X switch sticks (and it's clean) so I have to push it down till it pops up. Then it'll go through the jog routine till the end and then it gives me the X axis grid align failure, so what I have been doing is pushing the switch down on the very last part of the homing routine and it'll pass, but it's getting to the point where it take more and more aligning procedures to pass. Should I just go ahead and buy a new switch, or is their a fix? I read on other post that you have to fix the Home position. Do you just adjust the switch down till at the optimum position? Thx.

Re: x axis grd align failure!

Those switches don't last forever, and although the most common issues I've seen is for it to start sticking because of residue on the switch, eventually the internal mechanism will start to have a problem as well. There were 2 different style switches used on these verticals, one had the cable molded into the switch body so the switch and cable should be changed together (I've seen some people cut and splice the cable, but considering the environment, this isn't really the best solution). The other style is terminated inside the switch with a compression seal on the cable to prevent moisture from getting in, but it may be worth replacing the cable anyway based on the age of the machine (since these cables flex when the Y-axis is moved). I usually keep both styles in stock, but would have to check my inventory to confirm if I have them now.

Once the switch is replaced, there can be issues with the align sequence because the setup expects to see the input turn on and off at specific points relative to the switch but based on actual encoder (or resolver) location. This can be corrected a couple ways, but usually isn't a problem if you position the switch as closely as possible to where the original was. Since it homes based on motor position and not the switch, it isn't absolutely critical to have it in the exact position as long as it is able to complete the alignment without an alarm.

It is also possible for it to still finish the align sequence without an alarm, but align in a different position than usual (typically 1 revolution of the ballscrew off) so if you have a fixture already set up, be sure to verify your position before running a part or you could be out of position. Normally, once it successfully aligns, the position will stay the same for subsequent alignments, but there are specific circumstances that will allow it to align to one of 2 revolutions of the screw, so it can change each time the machine is aligned. I don't want to get into the details of this now, but If this occurs, usually moving the switch slightly will eliminate the problem.