585,663 active members*
3,074 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Milltronics > Centurion 6 upgrade options

Centurion 6 upgrade options

Just sent my Centurion 6 computer into Milltronics for an upgrade to an SBC board. It will take a few days to get there so I want some help about the options I should have them install.
    They quoted me the following options:

256 megs is $400 more than 64 megs, is it worth it? Are they talking about program storage or RAM size? Can I use a hard drive for storage?

They want $500 for a flash card multi reader and another $500 for a networking option, couldn’t I buy and install these myself for about 10% of the cost they want to do it? Or does this need to be done at the factory to get the driver software installed correctly? Honestly I think these options should be included in the upgrade price. Without them how do you load your programs from your CAM program? What about USB? That wasn’t quoted or mentioned.

C6 control updates

Hi Moldcore, IMHO, stick with the 64MB and then get the networking if you have the capability in your shop. This will get 99% of all shops what they need to run larger programs. You can always DNC lager programs from the network.

IMHO, The 256 meg option is too expensive, The "USB drive" is just an emulator of a 1.44MB floppy disk. If you have a 2 GB thumbdrive ( max allowed by DOS) you have to format it to be a 1.44MB drive. not very practiable in my opinion. instead of having a bunch of floppys laying around you have a bunch of thumb drives laying around.

See my other replies regarding DOS and hot swappable USB drives, yes it is possible.

Sportybob

Thanks for the quick reply sportybob! So I’m still a bit confused. Are you saying that even with the SBC upgrade I still won’t be able to read anything larger than 1.44mb on the usb and flash drives? Why offer a flash drive option that only reads 1.44mb formatted cards? May as well stay with the floppy drive. This makes no sense. So I’m going to pay $2100 + $500 just so I can network? The original computer I sent in could read 120mb superdisks or ZIP drives but those drives are not available anymore and mine are not readable anymore. If that’s the case maybe I just wasted my time with this.

Hi Moldcore, That is correct. The internal Cflash will be 64MB for program and parts storage. The USB will is just a floppy emulator.
    You could ask about a "multi function drive" it uses the IDE port ( like your LS120 drive) and will allow a several kinds of media cards to be used. I suggest a C-flash card, they are more hardy then the other micro cards. As you already have the LS 120 drive, you have all the cables to install a C-Flash drive in its place. You could then get a card reader with a USB end and use it to transfer the programs from the PC, remove the card from the reader and insert into the CNC card reader to transfer files, Max allowable disk size thru DOS is still 2GB. PM Me for my phone #

Sportybob