585,753 active members*
3,826 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: user input

user input

I am considering purchase of a 3D modeling program to develop a parts blow-up for a product user manual. Several years ago I spent a few hours with Rhino and liked it. So here are a few questions.

1. Will Rhino do exploded and cut-away views?

2. Do I need to purchase some separate rendering package to view/print my models (I'm still confused about this)?

3. Do I get a reusable license key or must I acquire a new activation key each time I put it on a new computer?

4. Will Rhino run on XPSP2?

Doug

1. Will Rhino do exploded and cut-away views?
    Not automatically. There are lots of tools in Rhino to help you do this more or less manually, but no one-button solutions. Note that although Rhino does handle solid volumes, it does not require them to stay solid, so if you start trimming parts, you will open them up unless you use the specific solid editing commands.

2. Do I need to purchase some separate rendering package to view/print my models (I'm still confused about this)?
    Rhino has a built-in renderer for basic stuff, but it is not really photo realistic. If you need photo realism or advanced rendering options, you will need a 3rd party render plug-in like Brazil, Maxwell or V-Ray. Rhino 5's native renderer is quite a bit better than V4. Rhino 5's superb new advanced display modes may allow you to go with simple screenshots and forgo a rendering entirely.

3. Do I get a reusable license key or must I acquire a new activation key each time I put it on a new computer?
    You get a reusable license key and it is allowed to install Rhino on as many of your own computers as you want, as long as you are the only user.

4. Will Rhino run on XPSP2?
    Rhino 4 will be no problem. Rhino 5 should run on XP as well, but I don't know how much longer that OS will be supported.

--ch

Thanks ch;

The assembly is simple enough that manually exploding it shouldn't be too painful. Simple rendering will suit my needs.

Doug