585,679 active members*
4,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Which Plasma Cutter Would You Pick?

I usually cut a lot of 18 gauge cold roll. I also cut a lot of 16 and 14 gauge hot rolled. I sometimes cut 12 and 10 gauge hot roll. Every once in awhile I'll cut 1/4" sheet, or cut holes in 1/4 thick 3"x3" square tubing. I'd like to be able to 3/8" hot rolled with ease, but I've never cut 1/2" plate. Never needed to. I also cut a lot of 22 gauge galvanized. Most of my continuous cuts are under 300 to 400 inches.

I've been using a TD Cuttmaster A40, but it eats consumables like no tomorrow.

I've decided to build a table using Precision Plasma's gantry, which I ordered this evening, but I need to buy a plasma cutter now and I'm not exactly sold on anything yet.

I was leaning towards a Hypertherm Powermax 45 unless someone has a better suggestion. My budget is the $2500 range.

I'm curious about consumables too. I've been paying $6 a nozzle (tip) and $9 to $10 per electrode with the TD A40

Thanks.

You are right in thinking about the PM45. That would be my recommendation for the thicknesses that you are cutting. I own two PM systems and highly recommend them to anyone. The price on consumables should be slightly less with a far longer life span, compared to your current cutter. IE cheaper to run.
    Chris

I LOVE my PM45.
    Carl

I haven't used mine yet, but that is the one I went with too. It has the built in port to aid in connecting to the THC I bought as well. Sweet.

I read lots of reviews and saw very little negative on the PM45.
    Lee

I use my PM45 regularly with 1/2" and 3/8", I cut some 3/8" and showed the same part to someone that was cut with a laser and they could not tell the difference...

My everlast plasma has worked as good as my buddies Miller, and for about 1/4 the price. Will be hooking it up to my cnc table in a few weeks.

--John

I researched a bunch of cutters and went with th PM45. Glad I did. Haven't had one problem with it yet (knock on wood).

Hypertherm ! hypertherm!! hypertherm!!!

I love my PM-1650!
    www.metaltechus.com