585,987 active members*
4,618 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Part Count

Part Count

Hi everyone,

Just a quick background - Im running multiple parts on a CNC and would like to have the part count
    match what Im machining. Parts are small so I run 6 to 9 parts a cycle. When operation is done
    in the parts count on Fanuc control says 1 with the proper cycle time. Is there anyway to have a variable
    in the program to change the part count to match the actual count. Hope I'm saying correctly.
    Need assistance if possible. Thanks

Jerseycnc

Part count = 1

Ok. Thanks for the information.

Was there a question in there some place?

If the program completes 6 parts I would like the part count to read 6
    not 1. Is it possible to have a variable (If Im saying it correctly) to change
    the part count of the Fanuc control to correspond using macro B

Jerseycnc

#3901 Number of Machined Parts (completion number)

I am not sure if you can write to this system variable or not as I have not tried it.

If you can just use #3901=#3901+6

Otherwise, the easiest way is typically to use a 500 series variable and add 6 or 9 to that each time.

Smae format as above...... #501=#501+9

you dont need macro to count parts.
    first, what Fanuc control do you have? the part count can be zero'd in SETTING or set to any number and when the program reads M30 it'll add 1 to the current part count. that setting number is just one of the parameters. you can set the parts count parameters via G10.
    there's also a parameter to set the M code that adds 1 part. it's usually 30 but depending on your control it may be different or not set up at all.

Can you explain what you mean by "Parts are small so I run 6 to 9 parts a cycle"
    are you machining parts from a single piece of material in one go via a sub-program or does the machine stop at M30 and you load the next part? if the former you cant make it count parts unless you tell the machine the program has ended. you can do it by changing the M code that tells the machine to count or by programming your job a different way so it can read an M30 (or M99 if using sub programs) after each part.

I think he means he is running a part off job where he is parting off, say 6 thin rings, per material pull out. So, when he hits M30, counter is showing 1 and he wants it to show 6. I do not know why he can't just multiply 1 times 6 in his head. Maybe it is the 98 times 6 that is messing with him.

txcncman

Maybe you could post a table or something to show the display count in one column and the actual count in another?

Matt

or he could count it on his fingers (thats 10% more than he needs... up to 10 parts!)
    if he runs out of fingers he could take off his boots and count on his toes

Well, Jerseycnc, I hope you've learned your lesson: Be careful what question you post here, as it may not get past the Masters of All Things CNC, who obviously know what's best for you, and make sure to point out how inane your question is.

It reminds me of the guy who went to New York City and asked a "local" for directions:

"Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to the Statue of Liberty, or should I just go f**k myself?"

It used to be you could post pretty-much any question up here, and you'd get several ideas on how to solve your problem. Some were good, some not so good, but nobody tried to make you feel like an idiot.

Cudos to sld4121 for actually trying to help.

:cheers::cheers:
    Quote Originally Posted by dcoupar View Post
    Well, Jerseycnc, I hope you've learned your lesson: Be careful what question you post here, as it may not get past the Masters of All Things CNC, who obviously know what's best for you, and make sure to point out how inane your question is.

It reminds me of the guy who went to New York City and asked a "local" for directions:

"Excuse me, can you tell me how to get to the Statue of Liberty, or should I just go f**k myself?"

It used to be you could post pretty-much any question up here, and you'd get several ideas on how to solve your problem. Some were good, some not so good, but nobody tried to make you feel like an idiot.

Cudos to sld4121 for actually trying to help.

Well fellas maybe Im back for more punishment. I was always told no question is stupid.
    Anyway-
    I know I can count - Its the operator who loses count so I want to know run time count vs parts on the floor - is he throwing parts away trying to keep a heads up
    Leadwell
    Control Fanuc OM - memory type A.

Set up remote monitoring. You can probably write a macro that could output program number executed, date/time stamp, and keep a running total of parts in a variable to be output also. All this could be sent to a remote computer just prior to M30 on each cycle. Any data kept on the machine could potentially be deleted or amended by the dishonest employee.

#3011 - Date
    #3012 - Time
    #3901 - Number of parts machined
    #4115 - Program number

Referenced from: Fanuc system macro variables and macro programming

To send through the RS-232 I believe the commands are:

POPEN - to open the port
    DPRNT - to print the characters and the macro variables that you want to send out
    PCLOS - to send and close the port

Would look something like:

POPEN
    DPRNT[DATE#3011 TIME#3012 PGRM#4115 PARTS#3901]
    PCLOS

install cameras in the factory as a 'security measure'.
    put a camera right above his head and don't tell him you are monitoring it on your PC 24/7

Seriously though....

Some sections at my work there is more in the scrap bin than in the job basket.

We always cut only enough material or supply enough pre-turned parts or forgings to make X number of components.
    We include a small amount to face off for each part and for parting off and for cleaning up the part off cut.

If the operator is smart he can usually get one extra part by holding on a very small amount of stock for the last part (if using bar stock).

If the number of parts is less than what is required you know he scrapped some.....

You don't need any complicated counting methods. Just hand out enough material to do the job and no more.

appreciate all the the comments . Thanks

JC

Jersey,
    The easiest way is as sld4121 has already stated. If you have macro programming on the control you can use a variable at the end of the program to count these parts. All you would have to do is at the end of the shift go out to the machine and compare the value of #500 to what the number of good parts are and clear #500 back =0 before the next shift.

If you do not have macro programming then the next best thing is as Ford suggested and note that the material given in the shift was to do X amount of parts and if you are out of stock and short on parts it is pretty obvious.

Stevo

Part Count

What control do you have if it is a Fanuc there is a parameter for most of them that holds the M code to count off of it could be set to an Mcode thats not used for example lets say it was M59 then you could just put a M59 after you cutoff tool and each time it ran it would count one or just put 6 of them at the bottom of your program.

Now to just add to the fun YOU COULD mount a chalk board inside the machine and put a pice of chalk in a tool holder and program your machine to make a mark for each part then ad a eraser to another tool holder and erase it at the end of the day or YOU COULD ,,, well I wont go there

you'll need to add a solenoid to activate an automatic shutter to guard the chalk board from coolant or it'll get auto-erased. you could have an M code for that. M66 Auto erase chalk board... open shutter door and turn on coolant. The possibilities are endless