585,761 active members*
4,033 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Colchester Bantam 5X20" Leadscrew

I don't know anything about lathes like these since I usualy machine on Air Bearing CNC machines, but I think the X Slide Leadscrew is knackered... here's the symptoms:

When I hand crank the X- Slide it feels "gritty", like "chunky", across the last few inches of travel- cutting parts with it produces errors of the order of 0.1- 0.3mm on flat surfaces.

What do you reckon could be causing it please? would stripping it and giving it a good clean help? I can see bits of swarf on the part of the leadscrew that is visible. Do these things (the leadscrew) ever wear out?

If it needs replacing, what kind of cash are we talking about? hundreds or thousands please? How easy are these things to replace? Would it be better just to buy a cheap second hand machine?

I know it's a lot of questions, sorry, but I really am new totaly to these machines.

Many thanks in advance
    I love deadlines- I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.

cross slide wear

ImanCarrot,

if your running your lathe by hand, you can compensate for lead screw wear manually, however slide and bed wear can be more of a problem. The cross slide has adjustable jibs as dose the carriage. If you haven't had this lathe for long, I would suggest dismantling it and cleaning, once this is done, reassemble, oil and adjust the jibs.

I hope this helps, Matthew