585,727 active members*
3,909 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vmc 40 -5 upgrade

Hello

I have an 1989 vmc 40 that i was thinking about upgrading to -5. Can anyone please tell me what i am looking at spending. Maybe any problams you had before that might have gone away after, or the other way if any. I do alot of surfacing jobs, so i DNC most of my programs,(no memory) machine runs really slow and jerky i often get DNC errors and have to start over, big time killer. Any info you can share would be great.

Thanks
    Red

I did this upgrade on a VMC15, just a later model of the same machine. Far as I am concerned you do not need a tech to do this job, plan 3-4-5 hours for the swap depending on how fast you work. It is just a matter of changing out the card cage, all of the cards, keeping track of what got unplugged from what.

The manuals are on Fadals website and explain the jumper settings on the axis cards. You will also need new rigid tap eproms for the spindle card. -4 and -5 are different. You can also reuse the -4 spindle card with a -5 system but you will loose the real time spindle speed readout on the CRT.

Cost was about 5k. little under that from CNCpros. I'd also add 4 megs of memory for 1k. I hate DNC.

Somewhere in the Fadal section is a post I made about the upgrade I did.

I do 3d surfacing as well, with onboard mem I have never had any problems with jerky movements. The g code flies by so fast you can't read it.

me too me too

ive got a vmc 40 also ive been looking into updating you can get a -5 upgrade from cncpros for 4200$ but you still have limited mem?? i think im going to go with a computer based upgrade= unlimited mem and 3d veiws etc and will cost about the same,ajax has a real nice set up for 3900$ and it comes with dc amps to run your servos and enof i/o for you tool changer i also am looking a camsoft too its a little more but there going to give me the script for the tool changer. and thats going to cost 5100$ i guess im torn the -5 is nice but is still 11yr old comp/software vs computer based 3d fast unlimited for the same price??? let me know how your searc goes

That is cool, I did not know ajax had a controller for that cheap. If you go that route keep us up to date on how it goes.

instead of all that buy Fadal DNC program
    I am working with -5 in 38400 baud
    and can start anywhere in the program
    for what I remember -4 will be also fast with it
    good price about 200$

Hi dango, i have tried fadal dnc it didnt really help, my machine is a -2 system with a max baud rate of 9600. i think my problam is with the processor not liking small moves with the surfacing jobs.but im not sure about that
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by redman
    Hi dango, i have tried fadal dnc it didnt really help, my machine is a -2 system with a max baud rate of 9600. i think my problam is with the processor not liking small moves with the surfacing jobs.but im not sure about that
    Thanks
    so it better that you change for -5
    its not have to be so expensive since
    you does not have rigd taping
    ask the dealer near you for price you need to change
    the cpu the 1040,1030 and the link that tie them togther
    the 3 axis card and the spindle card
    then try to sell your card after you change them on ebay

this is the one im going to go with

ow also

cncpros will buy your -2 cards from u for a 700 to 1200 dollors so that bring th price down to 3k = nice!!!!! mines coming for christmas

Hi chrisw, who did you speak with at cncpros? they did not offer me the same deal. the price was $4,200.00 and thats after the core charges.

Thanks

Talk to Brian or Rich.

try to call Fadal or Fadal dealer
    and you can get REM card since the -5 is old
    for about 1/2 price

dango, I just called fadal direct, and they said they dont sell reman -5 kits. they want $4,350.00 for a new kit

thanks
    red

sorry for confusion

thats correct,its 4200 for the -5 upgrade the price i was stating is for the ajax setup after cncpros buys your old cards,they will buy your cards regardless if you by the upgrade from them or not,they reman them and sell them... so if you buy the update from fadal at 4300 and sell your -2 cards to cncpros for 1k your still at 3300 for -5 upgrade??but im going to go the ajax/centroid set-up the -5 is still so old... the computer based set up is faster better and infantly upgrade able for pennys on the dollar vs propitary fadal cards.... but hay thats my 2 cents ,here is a number of a guy that has a compete -5 system with the 88hs pendint for 2800$ he took it off a working fadal to due a computer based control update.. 248-939-1282

also

if your sure u want to go -5 i would talk to cncpros more,.. every time i call they are supper helpfull and im very pro customer service id rather pay a little more and get good service then just get the best price... id forget going to fadal im sure u can work out a deal with cncpros... those guys are awsome