585,715 active members*
3,927 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Instructable for Simulating Waterdrops on Wood is up and I need your vote!

Instructable for Simulating Waterdrops on Wood is up and I need your vote!

I just entered a competition for 'Make it Real' at Instructables. I think this tutorial can apply to a lot of folks here.

Intro-

When I designed and built my own CNC, this is exactly the type of project I
    had in mind. A chance to play with forms and test ideas, bringing things to
    life that would otherwise just live in my sketchbook.

In this Instructable I am going to show you how I simulated water drops in
    Photoshop for shape generation in Rhino 3D and eventual output to my DIY
    CNC. This technique could also be applied to any 3 dimensional artwork that
    you can generate using light and dark to define object depth.

I am using water drops to show the advanced ability using layers to simulate
    the interaction of waves with each other resulting in a very believable final
    model.

The software used:

Photoshop
    Rhino 3D
    RhinoCAM
    Mach3

I think we have a shot at this one! I hope you will follow the link to see how I made the water drops and vote for it if you like it!

Simulating Water Drops on Wood

:cheers:

---------
    Plans for the MDF3790 are %50 off for two weeks only! Click here for more info!

Very cool, I gave you the vote.
    I've built two Mechmates (48x96" and 60x120"), so can you: http://mechmate.com/

Wow. Love it. You are one of those who knows "Why I needed a CNC router".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will do an ocean
    Seriously I'll do one tomorrow...

You have my vote Brian. I think having the cnc can open so many doors. Artwork can be come to a new level. What is cool is that not only can you do woodworking , plastic work, etc. you can draw on paper and sketch. Which my kids are so excited about. The future is coming. I just ordered my plans. YAAY.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin_fl View Post
    You have my vote Brian. I think having the cnc can open so many doors. Artwork can be come to a new level. What is cool is that not only can you do woodworking , plastic work, etc. you can draw on paper and sketch. Which my kids are so excited about. The future is coming. I just ordered my plans. YAAY.
    Thank you very much! Check your email!

:cheers:

Unfortunately, this contest ended last week and I was not a finalist. There were something like 1100 entries. Many of the ones not chosen were much better and fit the actual parameters of the contest IMHO.

They changed the contest rules toward the end and made half of the finalists based solely on votes received. Of course this means that people with extended social networks can steam roll the competition regardless if their project has merit or not.

It was fun to be a part of it and gave me an excuse to mill something. The instructible got almost 20k views, and I am sure lead a couple people to land here with a new excitement for DIY CNC!

Great work Grunblau, this effect would look great on edge lit plexi being used on a stargate model as the worm-hole. Hmmm now to get my buddy with Aspire to do the effect.
    Thank You.

I made it as a finalist with my Fisher Price record project and didn't ask anyone to vote for me, whether on social networks or not. I'm nervously awaiting the results! A far as I know that's just a judges' decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Fred27 View Post
    I made it as a finalist with my Fisher Price record project and didn't ask anyone to vote for me, whether on social networks or not. I'm nervously awaiting the results! A far as I know that's just a judges' decision.
    Congratulations! Your project embodies the competition 100%. You might just need to find a place to put the big printer Too many of the finalists are a bit of a stretch though.

There were a lot of entries that I found to be much more worthy than mine. I spent about three hours on my entry and at the original close date at the end of April, I think there was something like 200 entries. Half of the finalists were chosen by the judges.

Congratulations and good luck!