585,991 active members*
6,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > SprutCAM > Help with process

Help with process

I have a 3D design that I did in Alibre. It actually could be machines using 2.5D techniques I believe. It's not very complex, but I seem to fail and trying to use SprutCam to do the work.

I must be missing something...

For example. the 2 long edge cuts are 45 degree cuts and could be done with that type of cutter the entire length of the piece (once it was the fundamentally correct width). Once those are complete the top cross notch cuts could be done...

so, can someone help with we process with Sprut, do you have to use intermediate version of the design to accomplish these goals?

Here is the IGS file to help with this discussion.

Oh, and it should be oriented such that the long side is the X axis, the thickness (narrow distance) is the Z axis and the width (side with the cross slots) is the Y axis (or at least I think that is correct.

Thanks in advance,
    Alan
    Attached Files Attached Files

I was going to type up how I'd machine that. But it actually took me less time to just program it.

Of course, I haven't calculated feeds, speeds or depth of cut. This is an example only, so don't try to run it on your mill. This is an example of strategy only, and is far from perfect.

This program assumes that you have a piece of stock that is the exact size you need.

You can do the first operation in the vise with the part sitting on parallels. For the second operation, you will need to make a fixture that engages the long slot on the rail, and has two tapped holes for mounting screws. It will have a cross section like an upside down T.

The angled pieces (chamfers) are going to be the hardest part to get right. You will need to choose your chamfer mill, and do some measuring to find out exactly what shape it is. Verify that it's a true 90 degrees, verify the diameter, and find out how large the flat on the tip of the mill is. Sprut needs to know all of that in order to get the chamfer depth right. If you fudge the numbers on the tool definition, you'll wind up scrapping your part.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    I was going to type up how I'd machine that. But it actually took me less time to just program it.

Of course, I haven't calculated feeds, speeds or depth of cut. This is an example only, so don't try to run it on your mill. This is an example of strategy only, and is far from perfect.

This program assumes that you have a piece of stock that is the exact size you need.

You can do the first operation in the vise with the part sitting on parallels. For the second operation, you will need to make a fixture that engages the long slot on the rail, and has two tapped holes for mounting screws. It will have a cross section like an upside down T.

The angled pieces (chamfers) are going to be the hardest part to get right. You will need to choose your chamfer mill, and do some measuring to find out exactly what shape it is. Verify that it's a true 90 degrees, verify the diameter, and find out how large the flat on the tip of the mill is. Sprut needs to know all of that in order to get the chamfer depth right. If you fudge the numbers on the tool definition, you'll wind up scrapping your part.
    Fred, thanks so much.... this I think can help me learn how the heck you did that ...

Appreciate it up front.

Quote Originally Posted by aadamson View Post
    Fred, thanks so much.... this I think can help me learn how the heck you did that ...

Appreciate it up front.
    No problem at all. Play around with that file, and if you have specific questions, reply back to this thread and I'll see if I can answer them.

Frederic