584,817 active members*
4,842 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Running reduced balls in a ballscrew

Running reduced balls in a ballscrew

Has anyone tried running fewer balls in a ballnut? Aside from the obvious disadvantages regarding the decrease in load handling capability over stock, Are there any other disadvantages to be found in running a screw 16% low on balls? In my case 30 possible balls per circuit, reduced to 25?

While it is obviously not what the manufacturer had in mind I think that as long as you are not approaching the loading limits of the screw then you will be fine.

I can not see where running it with a few missing is going to damage anything or create any backlash.

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Talking

Corvus -
    Curious - Did you open a ballnut and a few escaped?

No this is in regards to the screw I bought off of Ebay, and some of the balls inside were literally crushed to powder. I've never had one of these apart, so I don't know the internal geometry. also, the crushed balls are about 17 in number if my ball count per circuit is correct for the screw, and that seems excessive, according to the number of pieces I found...