585,930 active members*
4,088 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

PCNC 770 Tormach

I'm looking for someone or company that's using this machine PCNC 770 machine with Pro/Engineer software? I'm on the fence about buying it. I've never done CAM. If I purchase the CAM package with Pro/E then basically all I'll need is the Mach3 software that comes with the PCNC 770? I want to know about the integration techniques or hickups between my existing software package and how I can integrate with the PCNC 770 flawlessly?
    Thanks for your time.:idea:

Tormach 770

Hay Inventor1227 how goes I'm on the fence here as well ,allthough I can say about a week ago the fence was about 10 feet compared to a three foot one today,after countless hours of comparing many machines!
    From what I understand the machine comes with the Mach-3 licence that's it,you need to purchase the controller through Tormach for $700+, with the windows operating system,that is configured just for the mach-3.
    Or if your lucky enough to have an older desktop PC tower that has windows XP installed. you can clean out the hard drive and use it in regular pc mode with Tormach's higher end cable/cord. Just make sure the hard drive in the thing is stable . run a diignostics on it. thats what I plan to do if my tower checks out it's at my local PC buddy's shop. getting a hair cut! I hope this helps out a little good luck. if ther is anyone else that wants to throw a "cent" or "two" in thats what were here for. would be great, peace:cheers: JFERA22

Thanks for the information JFERA22. Since I already have XP Windows OS and computer tower with new hard drive, I'll put my own controller together. Tormach's higher end cable/cord isn't something new on the market from what I've seen of it. Correct me if I'm wrong? P.S.- my fence is about the same is yours 3ft. I just need the CAM software to work with the mill. I'm tired of the hand mills

Tormach 770

inventor1227 , Sounds like your on your way, I know the cable is not new I just had talked to one of the tec's. there about the 770 I asked if there was anything that he would recomend I get, I told him I had a controller that would fit the bill and he had recomended to go with the cable, they carried he did say it was of better qulity than your run of the mill cable? I planed on going with all new ones anyway.
    As far as CAM goes I'm leaning to the Rhino/visualmill.2012. Idid want to go with the sprutcam that tormach offers . I wantd to take it for a spin before I made up my mind just because it's has some turning features that would go good with the machine along the lines of turning which is something I want to do. Ill tell you waht though I really liked the rhino demo.
    I tryed to download the sprutcam for sprutcam america an spent a lot of time downloading an empty zip file. I was told they were having trouble with the download? after that I was sent to SprutCAM Your Safe Partner for wire EDM, lathe, milling, turn-mill, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 & 5 axis CNC machining - SPRUT Technology Inc., not sprutcam america!! and told to download the latest version I will do that tomorrow I haven't had time since to go back and download again. anway Ill post any info as I go please do th same.

I'm wondering if your going with the Machine Stand or are you going to build your own? I'm looking at both ways right now. I realize the PCNC 770 is heavy, but I need to be able to move it around without a pallet jack. I have a hydraulic lift already, which if I turn into a portable machine stand, I believe would work great for my application. You know anyone who ever put a milling machine on a lift with the wheels?

Tormach 770

No I never have heard anyone doing that. I was thinking about going that same rout,without stand. I cant get over th price it's not made of stainless! you canalways buy one somewhere else! I know there are stands for a lot less money,that will fit it. I would probally get the drip try for it though I have a solid work bench so I'm considering doing that. yoy can buy a lot of accessories with the amount saved by not getting the stand! An auto tool changer would be nice! Decisions!

A racing jack (HF has a 1-1/2 ton model on sale for $80 or so) and some machinery skates might suffice for occasional moves. Use the lift to jack up a corner and slide a jack under it. Repeat 3 times for the other corners, move, and reverse the process when done. I'd feel uncomfortable leaving the mill, even the 700, on wheels all the time.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    A racing jack (HF has a 1-1/2 ton model on sale for $80 or so) and some machinery skates might suffice for occasional moves. Use the lift to jack up a corner and slide a jack under it. Repeat 3 times for the other corners, move, and reverse the process when done. I'd feel uncomfortable leaving the mill, even the 700, on wheels all the time.

Mike
    I use a pallet jack to move my 1100 around. Works very well, fits under the standard stand, and isn't much more. I usually rent the jack for $20 a day, our you can buy one for about $200 at HF.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post

Mike

Be careful jacking up one corner of your machine. If your stand is poorly made, you could jack up one corner, and if the stand fails your machine could end up a pile of rubble on the floor.

If you need to move it around (I don't lnow why you would) then a pallet jack is the way to go. Like another poster said, you can rent one for $20.00 a day. A lot of rental places have half day or 4 hour rates as well.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

A few people have done the calculations and have found that it isn't a whole lot cheaper to make your own stand vs buying it from Tormach.

The 770 stand weighs about 230 lbs so figure out how much that much steel would cost. A lot depends on what you have available. If you can get sheet metal cheaply and get it bent and welded for a good price, you might save a few bucks. Others have built really nice wooden stands but again the cost sneaks up on you really quickly there, especially if you are going to use flood cooling and have to seal it.

OTOH if you build it yourself, you can put together something that fits your space and working requirements perfectly and there is a lot of value to that.

Either way you go, get a set of these, they work great: Leveling Casters: Many Uses, Many Places | Access Caster

bob

Actually, if you do not plan on using flood coolant, you can make a cheap stand out of 4 by 4. Mine took me about 45 min to build and cost me under 30 dollars. With flood coolant, it is more involved and you need more expensive material.
    Christian

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    A few people have done the calculations and have found that it isn't a whole lot cheaper to make your own stand vs buying it from Tormach.

The 770 stand weighs about 230 lbs so figure out how much that much steel would cost. A lot depends on what you have available. If you can get sheet metal cheaply and get it bent and welded for a good price, you might save a few bucks. Others have built really nice wooden stands but again the cost sneaks up on you really quickly there, especially if you are going to use flood cooling and have to seal it.

OTOH if you build it yourself, you can put together something that fits your space and working requirements perfectly and there is a lot of value to that.

Either way you go, get a set of these, they work great: Leveling Casters: Many Uses, Many Places | Access Caster

bob

Quote Originally Posted by kevinro View Post
    I use a pallet jack to move my 1100 around. Works very well, fits under the standard stand, and isn't much more. I usually rent the jack for $20 a day, our you can buy one for about $200 at HF.
    Thanks (Steve too), but my mill is in the basement and it is pretty tough to get a pallet jack down the stairs. No room for it in the basement or I'd have bought one.

My mill is in an alcove with only a few inches between the left/right sides and back of the mill and the three walls that form the alcove. I only need to move the mill occasionally for acess to the the Y-axis stepper but when I do, the racing jack and some thin sheets of UHMW PE work for me. That way the mill only needs to be jacked up a fraction of an inch so there is no tipping hazard.

I like the casters someone posted downthread though. Those are a lot cheaper than the new machinery skates I've seen.

I store my pallet jack underneath the machine. Except for sticking out a bit at one side (so no good for Michael) it stashes nicely there. With a lot of effort I can horse the jack in and out of my truck, but 2 people makes it easy.

Good used jacks are pretty common on CL, but be sure to price new tires before buying one that needs them.

Everyone thanks for the input. I designed my own stand based on someone else's completed work. 4x4x0.25 columns with 4x2x0.25 supports around the columns, with 0.25" steel plate at the top and 4 separate 0.125" plates for each column at the bottom. The price for the material is $541 dollars. I think the welding will be more expensive then the material?
    I did find a Steel Floor Stand from Zoro Tools in IL. Here is the link.
    Mill/Drill Machines by VALUE BRAND - Milling and Drilling Accessories by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies
    The cost for this stand is only $369.29. The dimensions are small but that's what I need.
    Anyone buy tools from this place? I've never heard of them before.

If your mill is in an alcove, the only reason I could see to move it would be to clean behind it.

A good shop-vac will do that and you can easily store that. I store my shop-vac under the right hand end of my PCNC1100. The left end has 2 20 gallon chip cans.

Aluminum chips are a good thing to save. Last time the chip guy came, I had 2 full 20 gallon cans of chips, and about half of a 5 gallon pail of solids and he left me $50.00. This time, I have 2 20 gallon cans, a 50 gallon can and 2 5 gallon pails of solids. I think I'm looking at $100.00 to $125.00 for scrap.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    If your mill is in an alcove, the only reason I could see to move it would be to clean behind it.
    I've needed to get back there once or twice to resolve a backlash issue with the Y-axis.

I had no idea aluminum scrap brought that much. Too bad UHMW isn't so lucrative.

Mike