585,761 active members*
3,975 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Greetings form Italy

hi all, I'm almost new in these rooms and I'm glad to read a lot of interesting stuffs, happy to be part of this creative community.
    I'm an IT consultant and programmer, I use to work for italian oil companies, in order to build and repair VOC's vaport recovery plants, integrating PCs, networking and PLCs.
    I'm setting up a little workshop with a lathe, a small mill and a drill press, and other small self made tools.

Bongiorno, Android!

What will you be producing in your home shop? What materials did you want to work with? Are you buying or building CNC-controlled machines, or do you enjoy cranking cranks?

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Hi awerby, I'm developing a new cnc project with solidworks. I'm trying to draw a very unusual machine with a strong and very high Z axis, imagine a traditional vertical milling machine, but reduced in size and controlled by a PC, something like 40"X x 25"Y x 47"Z all steel structured and with a spindle of at least 1,5 HP.
    My target is prototyping in general, AISI, C45 and aluminium, the idea is to create a new generation of handguns, even if in my country it's strictly regulated and being granted to build something in this field is really not easy.
    I love gunsmithing, and I like to join my informatic exprerience with my poor mechanical skills, hoping to obtain something worthy.
    A part from these dreams, I use to turn and mill some special components that I need while assembling the VRU plants that I use to build, some parts are extremely difficult to be found from the market, so I decided to became independent and to produce those parts by myself, I.e. lots of coupling parts, motor shank reductions, valve shank adapters and many others.
    Thanks for your contacting me...

So this thing is going to have a quill that's almost four feet long? My gosh, are you making handguns for Godzilla?

Really, this might be a good machine for milling foam or something, but you might want to build (or buy) something else for gunsmithing, which generally requires very rigid tooling but (fortunately) not a lot of Z travel.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Ahaha... i got your point
    I've to say that my initial explanation is almost confused, I'll clarify myself asap.
    Right now I'm far away from home doing my job. When I'll be back I'll post you a small drawing and some operational note.
    Happy for this converstion, and forgive me for my poor english

I'm also new here...any forums recommended for absolute begginers?

Thanks for sharing.