585,759 active members*
4,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

40W CO2 Deluxe Hobby Laser - to cut WOOD

Greetings,

I am looking into purchasing the 40W CO2 Deluxe Hobby Laser.

My primary use of the machine would be to cut 1/4" thick patterns in various species of wood. Can all, or most wood species be cut?

Will there be burn marks?

Do I need to buy the 2.5" focus lens for this application?

Thanks

Can all, or most wood species be cut?
    Yes they can be cut but not all at an acceptable standard. Hardwoods and those that contain more *oil* will make more of a mess usually.

Will there be burn marks?
    Very much so, the edge of the wood will be black or charred unless you use an inert gas assist system such as Nitrogen.

Do I need to buy the 2.5" focus lens for this application?
    Longer focal lengths increase the depth of field (an explanation HERE) but going from 50 to 63.5mm won't make a great deal of difference.

To cut 1/4" wood a 40 watt machine is going to struggle to reach anywhere near a decent linear speed. 80 watts would be better and 120 watts would be my choice if I was looking at doing the same.
    Given your requirements (or my assumption of them) a router would be a better tool for the job.

best wishes

Dave

The FSE 40watt will torch the hell out of your wood. Its nowhere near powerful enough to cut that at any speed that wont burn the wood quite badly.

I agree with Exsecratio on most all of his response.

You should look at a laser machine with closer to 80 watts. A 60 watt laser would do the work if you can stick to birch, pine, or other soft wood. A plywood might be great for some projects.. It might make more sense to be particular about your target materials.

We sell a laser machine RL-60-9060. The work space is 36 wide x 24 front-back. This laser machine can also be purchased as an 80 watt laser power.

It really depends on what your projects are .. maybe a CNC router would do better.. Many projects would NEED a laser to get the particular work done.

Ray Scott
    Owner / Engineer
    Rabbit Laser USA
    513-217-5707