585,597 active members*
3,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Brideport and VFD question

Hello all. I have a VFD manufactured by ABB ACS150-01U-07A5-2. It is a single phase 230 input with three phase output. I am a little confused about hook up. I am retrofitting a Bridgeport series 1 boss 4 control. My 230v comes into the machine where it is tapped into for other components. My question is do I connect the 2 legs of the 115v together and hook that to the VFD ON THE "L" and connect the neutral to the "N". Just wondering because I have never seen anything like this. On the OUTPUT side of it, it has a U2,V2.W2 which I know that the 3 phase motor connects. My question here is that the wires coming out of the motor are 3 black with no markings and 1 green for the ground. Is it safe to say that any of the black wires could be connected in any order ? SCARED AND EXCITED at the same time, this is the last step before the beast is fired up and chips are made.
    It is a Bridgeport series 1 boss 4 retrofit. components are: CNC4PC c32 BOB w/ mpg pendent, geckos 203v turning existing steppers in parallel, Antec PS-15N73N24R5, cnc4pc c-15 to control coolant pump.
    Many thanks go out to Alamo cnc check out the video at [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoNcVkatF-M]Alamo CNC - Bridgeport CNC Mill First Cut - YouTube[/ame]

You will need to do more than connect to the 230vac line correctly. You will have to configure the vfd to safely operate your spindle. Each vfd is different so you need the manual to connect and set it up correctly.

Here is a link to the operator manual. You may need to search out a programming manual also but this will get you pointed in the right direction.

http://www.inverterdrive.com/file/AB...l/default.aspx

In N.A. the 2 120v live cond. are used as 240v, so you are OK.
    Do not connect neutral, just two terminals in.
    The output side can be any 3 motor conductors, if you want FWD and REV run to occur in the opposite directions, swap any two.
    Make sure you take a Earth ground to the VFD and on to the motor frame.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

little more

In the manual it shows 3 inputs: U1 , V1 , W1. It says when using single phase use U1 as (L) and V1 as (N) W1 has no connection. So am I to understand Al_THE_MAN that I should hook one leg of 115volts to (L) and the other 115v to (N) and leave the neutral hanging ? I'm lost
    I understand about the vfd configuration but until I have power to it I'm dead in the water. I do have it connected to be controlled with Mach3 and cnc4pc c-32 BOB for speed,fwd/rev.

The symbol (N) is for use in countries that use 1 phase 240 and Neutral, in N.A. the neutral is a centre tap between two 120v ends of a 1 phase transformer.
    IOW L1 & L2 is equivalent to L1 & N elsewhere.
    You do not use the neutral in N.A. in this application.
    Al.

Albert E.

Thanks VFD runs great!!!

Re: Brideport and VFD question

how does the ABB hold up for a CNC spindle? I read that it only has scalar control not vector that a lot of the other drives have. is that important when shopping for a VFD?

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Hello all. I have a VFD manufactured by ABB ACS150-01U-07A5-2. It is a single phase 230 input with three phase output. I am a little confused about hook up. I am retrofitting a Bridgeport series 1 boss 4 control. My 230v comes into the machine where it is tapped into for other components. My question is do I connect the 2 legs of the 115v together and hook that to the VFD ON THE "L" and connect the neutral to the "N". Just wondering because I have never seen anything like this. On the OUTPUT side of it, it has a U2,V2.W2 which I know that the 3 phase motor connects. My question here is that the wires coming out of the motor are 3 black with no markings and 1 green for the ground. Is it safe to say that any of the black wires could be connected in any order ? SCARED AND EXCITED at the same time, this is the last step before the beast is fired up and chips are made.
    It is a Bridgeport series 1 boss 4 retrofit. components are: CNC4PC c32 BOB w/ mpg pendent, geckos 203v turning existing steppers in parallel, Antec PS-15N73N24R5, cnc4pc c-15 to control coolant pump.
    You only connect the 2 Hot wires to Terminals ( U1 L and V1 N ) and Ground to the Ground Terminal Do not connect the Neutral wire to the VFD Drive, 240v NA Power supply does not use a Neutral , a Neutral is only used for 120v supply in NA
    Mactec54

Re: little more

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    In the manual it shows 3 inputs: U1 , V1 , W1. It says when using single phase use U1 as (L) and V1 as (N) W1 has no connection. So am I to understand Al_THE_MAN that I should hook one leg of 115volts to (L) and the other 115v to (N) and leave the neutral hanging ? I'm lost
    I understand about the vfd configuration but until I have power to it I'm dead in the water. I do have it connected to be controlled with Mach3 and cnc4pc c-32 BOB for speed,fwd/rev.
    If you used only ( 1 ) Hot /Live the you would only have 120v you say you are in the USA so you have to use ( 1 Hot connected to U1 and the other Hot connected to V1 and Ground to the Ground Terminal
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    You only connect the 2 Hot wires to Terminals ( U1 L and V1 N ) and Ground to the Ground Terminal Do not connect the Neutral wire to the VFD Drive, 240v NA Power supply does not use a Neutral , a Neutral is only used for 120v supply in NA
    Answering a 6yr+ old post!!

Albert E.

Re: little more

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by thisispete View Post
    how does the ABB hold up for a CNC spindle? I read that it only has scalar control not vector that a lot of the other drives have. is that important when shopping for a VFD?

ABB sell various types.
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...Vfk8Py5j56TVA6
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    I guess we all fall into that trap sometimes when someone wakes up an old thread without looking at the date
    Mactec54