584,800 active members*
4,687 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Test cutting with Tormach 17mm insert end mill
Page 1 of 2 12

Test cutting with Tormach 17mm insert end mill

I was looking for a tool that I could remove a lot of material with that wouldn't have pull out concerns. I spoke to Eric at Tormach and he thought the 17mm insert em might do the trick. I had wanted to try an insert mill so gave it a try.

Here's a video of some cutting/testing I did.

http://youtu.be/Ft4n2rCWSG0

I'm really happy with the results. A pretty safe 50ipm .125" depth at about 98 percent width. I can run at 60ipm all else the same but cut it back to a more conservative speed. I'm really happy with its performance.

David

I'm amazed at the lack of rpm drop... It seems to cut effortlessly compared to mine. What belt setting are you on? I'm thinking of switching to the lower speed pulleys to gain more torque back.

I must be doing something wrong, I've had my 1100 for years, and I never run it that fast, not even close. I would be cutting that at 10 IPM. I'll have to try that 17mm cutter too.

Im using the faster pulley setting. One thing I learned on this forum, is the motor is in its highest torque band around 60 hz which equates to 2500ish rpms. You need torque to cut like this. I pushed it a bit to 3500 with good results, but every time I would cut with a big tool around 5000 rpm, I would lose RPM and nearly stall.... so the trick is staying in the torque band.

The other thing is Eric felt that the center cutting end mill cleared chips better and it also uses a different insert compared to the 16mm non center cutting.(I have no experience with it) The inserts I am using, are the ones for alum, and Im taking a .007" cpt cut... Those are freaking chips!

Non the less, Im really happy with it.

David

Sure cuts nice. Been looking at the 17mm and the 25mm center cut TTS tools. Your video shows the 17mm @ 2500rpm is a great match.

Jim

My 1100 would bog down running a standard EM like that. Is the cutter that much lower in torque requirements, or am I doing something wrong?
    Also, judging by the smoke, coolant seems important. :-)

I have the non-center cutting version of that tool. I can run .125" depth and width of cut, at 2547 RPM and 38.138IPM, and it loves it. I used the tool to turn 16 feet of 3" x 1" aluminum into tattoo machines. 80-90% of the metal was machined away in this process. And I'm still on the original inserts.

Chip clearing isn't a concern since I'm running such a low stepover. There's plenty of room for the chips to eject, and I use Sprutcam's trochoids to keep the cut width constant.

One advantage of the non-center cutting version is that it shares inserts with the Tormach face mill.

I highly recommend these insert mills. They're just excellent.

Frederic

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    My 1100 would bog down running a standard EM like that. Is the cutter that much lower in torque requirements, or am I doing something wrong?
    Also, judging by the smoke, coolant seems important. :-)
    My understanding is the geometry of the insert coupled with keeping the spindle in the 2500 ish rpm range(3500 worked really well for me as well) to keep the motor in its torque band... and wide fast but shallow cuts... but as I understand it, yes the inserts geometry require less power for the same amount of work. No way I could run this fast with a standard end mill. (not sure about high end tools though)

The smoke is from a small shot of wd40. I wasnt sure if it was OK to machine with no coolant or not so gave it a squirt before I started.

Fred, great to hear you are happy with the 16mm as well. I agree about the inserts sharing with the surface mill. Thats a benefit for sure.

David

For facing I use a 1 inch single flute Shear Hog from AB Tools. I can run it 4,000 RPM, 40 IPM at .050 t0 .075 DOC and come up with a great finish with no loss of RPM or power.

I used this same cutter in my Haas and FADAL when I had my shop. The FADAL was 20 HP and had a 10,000 RPM spindle. I could run the Shear Hog at 10,000 RPM, 100 IPM and .250 DOC. Chips coming off that cutter sounded like a I was making popcorn.

I used to tell people, it doesn't make chips, it makes chunks.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Well I ordered this cutter a couple days ago to have a go myself with it Hasn't gotten here yet, but I'm anxious.

Now that you mention the lower rpm being better, I have noticed that when I run lower rpms it doesn't fall off like it did, and could cut faster/deeper at around 3300rpm rather than running near/at 5000... So yea, I'm playing at much lower rpms now than I was when I started out with it.

David,

I see you vise test your end mills too! Is that gouge in the body or in a soft jaw?

bob

Quote Originally Posted by rowbare View Post
    David,

I see you vise test your end mills too! Is that gouge in the body or in a soft jaw?

bob
    haha... Luckily I havent milled my vises yet I use soft jaws allot to hold odd shapes, so if I make a mistake Its usually not to bad

David

My guess that is a Mitsubishi carbide bxd style cutter , very nice to work with !
    :cheers:

tony

Does that use APMT inserts?

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    I use soft jaws allot to hold odd shapes, so if I make a mistake Its usually not to bad

David
    Smart move!!!:banana::banana:
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Quote Originally Posted by williamsmotower View Post
    Does that use APMT inserts?
    It uses QOGT and QOMT Mistubishi / Iscar inserts.

David

I am unable to access this video. Is it still on youtube? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    I use soft jaws allot to hold odd shapes

David
    I also use soft jaws machined to hold odd shaped parts. Here is a video showing soft jaws that were machined to hold multiple 3/8” diameter x 1/8” discs being 2-56 tapped. Tapping 2-56 On Tormach Video by miltons_stuff | Photobucket

Don Clement

Thanks for the heads up. Let me know if you can see it now.

David

David, you inspired me to buy the 17mm cutter. All I can say is thanks this thing is great. And I also use aluminum jaws 90% of the time. I treat them more like fixtures than jaws and have many sets that are just for specific parts as well as several new sets in reserve just in case.
    RAD. Yes those are my initials. Idea, design, build, use. It never ends.
    PCNC1100 Series II, w/S3 upgrade, PDB, ATC & 4th's, PCNC1100 Series II, 4th

Page 1 of 2 12