585,717 active members*
4,034 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > 4th Axis on 770 - To tilt or not to tilt... that IS the question...

4th Axis on 770 - To tilt or not to tilt... that IS the question...

Hi all,

Well, I went to install my 6" rotary table on my 770 last night, and discovered that it has the same problem as the 8" rotary table does on the 1100. No room for the ATC to move over the top of it.

I figure that I have 2 choices. One is to deface the 6" table by chopping a bunch of it down that sticks up too high. I'm not a fan of that idea because longer drill bits would still have an issue. My other choice is to return my 6" table and get the tilting 6" table.

I'm leaning towards the 6" tilting table, but I would really like to hear from anyone who uses the 6" tilting table and see what they think of it.

Thanks all,
    Wade

Quote Originally Posted by wwendorf View Post
    Hi all,

Well, I went to install my 6" rotary table on my 770 last night, and discovered that it has the same problem as the 8" rotary table does on the 1100. No room for the ATC to move over the top of it.

I figure that I have 2 choices. One is to deface the 6" table by chopping a bunch of it down that sticks up too high. I'm not a fan of that idea because longer drill bits would still have an issue. My other choice is to return my 6" table and get the tilting 6" table.

I'm leaning towards the 6" tilting table, but I would really like to hear from anyone who uses the 6" tilting table and see what they think of it.

Thanks all,
    Wade
    Can it be mounted facing the other direction, and reposition to a safe table location during tool changes?

I think the stepper gets in the way.

Yep, the stepper gets in the way big time. If you mount it on the right side of the table, the stepper will impact the cabinet.

Wade

Upside down? That will move the stepper.

No way to mount it upside down, the top doesn't have a flat.

Wade

Somebody needs to make a relocate-the-stepper kit...

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    +1

That sucks, I think Tormach needs to address this problem.

That being said, does anyone have the tilting 4th axis? Does it work good? Pro's? Cons?

Any input would be great.

Thanks,
    Wade

I thought their 6" tilting table does address the problem.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by eltejano View Post
    That sucks, I think Tormach needs to address this problem.

That somebody could be you, now's your chance to make a name for yourself. Belt drive mounting kit with the motor behind the table, you'll make a fortune.:idea:

Phil

I have the 8 inch tilting kit. So far my feedback is this: this thing is heavy as hell. I'm a strapping young man but getting this monster on the table safely (i.e. not gouging surfaces) without a hoist - even if I had help from a strong friend - is probably impossible. If the coolant trays were not in the way it would probably be easy with 2 people, but extra hands don't help you extend something that heavy over that distance. Since for the majority of the stuff I do the 4th axis will just get in the way I'm hesitant to even hook it up until I've built a hoisting system that will allow me to move it back off the table easily enough.

Wade,
    Can you post some pictures for us to peruse?
    Thanks
    Neil
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

I actually have the 6" table all packed up in preparation for returning it to Tormach.

However, I'm reconsidering things and may just go ahead and build a stepper repositioning kit to sell once I perfect it. I really don't want to spend extra money on the tilting table, but at the same time I have a rather immediate need for a 4th axis. I'm kind of in a catch-22 here.

I'm just not sure what I should do.

Wade

Quote Originally Posted by GJeff View Post
    I have the 8 inch tilting kit. So far my feedback is this: this thing is heavy as hell. I'm a strapping young man but getting this monster on the table safely (i.e. not gouging surfaces) without a hoist - even if I had help from a strong friend - is probably impossible. If the coolant trays were not in the way it would probably be easy with 2 people, but extra hands don't help you extend something that heavy over that distance. Since for the majority of the stuff I do the 4th axis will just get in the way I'm hesitant to even hook it up until I've built a hoisting system that will allow me to move it back off the table easily enough.
    +1

When I originally ordered, I was going to get the regular 8" table. When I decided to go with a tilting rotary, the lady at Tormach cautioned me that the 8" tilting was too big if you ever want a tool changer. (I didn't at the time, but later? Who knows?) So I went with the 6" tilting. Now I wish I'd gotten the non-tilting 6" or 8" rotary. The 6" tilting is slightly smaller, but it's so heavy that it's a little scary to move around. (spinal surgery is not an experience I'd like to repeat...) When I mounted it on the table of my 1100, I used an engine hoist to move it. I didn't run 4th axis - I just tested it. I wound up taking it back off, and now it's sitting under a cover in the corner of the workshop.

This all probably goes with the territory, though. You want the thing to be rigid for accuracy and durability, and that's going to make it heavy. (Unless perhaps they come up with a casting made from some crazy-expensive material. I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen.)

-Mark

ATC is in the queue for our 1100.

I think initially I will waterline the top of the axis and eliminate the vertical ear, we have never used it as an -A- Axis and most of the time it lives in the corner of the chip pan tucked out of the way like a lurking troll. Then as time allows, relocate the Stepper Motor to the rear vertical face of the axis with the shaft end sticking out similar to the axis worm. A aluminum mounting plate that fits on the mounting rabbet of both motor and axis input shaft should work with a timing belt set setup to an exact center dimension between shafts. A homemade vaccum formed belt cover and reversing rotation would finish it up nicely.

The 8" axis is a handful in its self, I can't imagine mounting the Tilting Axis by hand. If you you can do this I want you for my drinking mate at the local bar.

nitewatchman

Quote Originally Posted by nitewatchman View Post
    ATC is in the queue for our 1100.

I think initially I will waterline the top of the axis and eliminate the vertical ear, we have never used it as an -A- Axis and most of the time it lives in the corner of the chip pan tucked out of the way like a lurking troll. nitewatchman
    I use my 8" RT both horizontally and vertically so doing a Vincent wouldn’t work for me.

Don Clement

I've decided to keep my 6" rotary table and I'm going to be building a stepper relocation kit for it. After I get the relocation kit working for the 6" table, I'm going to build one for the 8" table as well. My relocation kit will allow the table to work horizontally or vertically.

Wish me luck,
    Wade

Folded 4th Axis Drive

Here is what my non-Tormach 8" rotary table looks like. I built it this way specifically to have a much
    more compact footprint than the Tormach equivalent since I made my own stand and enclosure. The
    holes in the handwheel and driven timing gear reduce the inertia by about 25%, and the acelleration
    is correspondingly higher as a result. The 2:1 timing belt reduction makes positioning slower than the
    Tormach equivalent, but the unstoppable torque is also better for my robust 5th axis addition.
    Attachment 181537
    Attachment 181538