585,760 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Confirmation

I am getting conflicting info on my VF-2 spindle type. The seller says it is absolutely a BT40 but there is a sticker on the machine that looks to me like it says CT40 or DIN/ISO.

Is there a way to know for sure? I dont want to use the wrong holders.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tool.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by partsman View Post
    I am getting conflicting info on my VF-2 spindle type. The seller says it is absolutely a BT40 but there is a sticker on the machine that looks to me like it says CT40 or DIN/ISO.

Is there a way to know for sure? I dont want to use the wrong holders.
    That sticker is on all machines. It just gives the dimensions on the pull-studs, with the only difference being the threads.

Also, both tools will fit the spindle, the difference is in the location and such of the fingers in the tool changer, as the location is different on the tool holders. CAT40(Caterpillar designed I believe) is the most common used. BT40, metric, is the European standard.

Both work the same, but you may find more tooling for the CAT40 machines.

Mike

The spindles are identical from what I know.

Mike
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

See Pictures
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAT40.JPG   BT40.JPG  
    Two Haas VF-2's, Haas HA5C, Haas HRT-9, Hardinge CHNC 1, Bother HS-300 Wire EDM, BobCAD V23, BobCAD V28

Call Haas Automation in Oxnard and give them the serial number they will be able to tell you which it is.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

That sticker is on all machines. It just gives the dimensions on the pull-studs, with the only difference being the threads.
    Looking at Maritool's website the BT pullstud has a longer shank though. 1.1 vs 0.99 for the CT which is the same as the sticker.

I already ordered a pile of BT tooling based on the sellers listing but the pullstuds do not match the "correct pullstud" sticker dimensions.

I might have to call HAAS Monday.

The HAAS manual shows it longer as well.
    http://www.haascnc.com/doclib/manual...glish_mill.pdf

Haas is really good about putting manuals on line.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    The HAAS manual shows it longer as well.
    http://www.haascnc.com/doclib/manual...glish_mill.pdf

Haas is really good about putting manuals on line.
    Only for one stud, not for DIN/ISO that the machine's own sticker calls for.

Second, why post the entire manual link when one page would do?

Mike

Looking at Maritool's website the BT pullstud has a longer shank though. 1.1 vs 0.99 for the CT which is the same as the sticker.

I already ordered a pile of BT tooling based on the sellers listing but the pullstuds do not match the "correct pullstud" sticker dimensions.

I might have to call HAAS Monday.
    Lastly, did you by the tooling with the studs already installed. Some studs look very similar but are for different machines.

If the sticker you gave us a picture of is on the machine, I'd say the .990 length is the correct one.

Like I said before, have fun with your new toy! Let us know when you get it and some details.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Machineit View Post
    Only for one stud, not for DIN/ISO that the machine's own sticker calls for.

Second, why post the entire manual link when one page would do?

Mike
    Just in case he needed it. The manual did show Din and CT as .990, but showed BT as being longer. I always thought BT and DIN were the same, but learned the hard way when I bought a new test bar they are not. Ended up being 900 for the bar, then another 300 in different retention knobs!

Do not use any pull stud with different dimensions other than what the sticker from the original post had, no exceptions!

As stated already, the only difference in a BT or CT pull stud for use in a Haas machine will be the thread. The tool holders will obviously be different.

Like Geof suggested. If you are uncertain, call Haas with your serial number and have them confirm either way.

You would think that there would be a tag or something on the machine that says "BT" or "CT". All it says is "40".... unless that is what the sticker that I posted is intended to be.

My gut says it is CT since the CT pullstuds match the length on the sticker, the sticker says CT and nowhere on it BT but I'll just call HAAS to be sure. I hope Maritools has a reasonable return policy. Just spent $2,500 on holders that I might need to send back.

the only difference in a BT or CT pull stud for use in a Haas machine will be the thread
    I'm certainly in no position to argue with you since I have a total of eleven minutes of experience on this subject Dont take this the wrong way but I'm just trying to learn... why does maritool.com list them as having different dimensions? Maybe that length difference is insignificant? Or a misprint?

BT40- HAAS

Cat40 - HAAS

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    Do not use any pull stud with different dimensions other than what the sticker from the original post had, no exceptions!

As stated already, the only difference in a BT or CT pull stud for use in a Haas machine will be the thread. The tool holders will obviously be different.

Like Geof suggested. If you are uncertain, call Haas with your serial number and have them confirm either way.
    So, the manual that shows a CT/ din / BT is wrong? Even though the sticker does not show BT? The gauge length is shorter on a BT and would require a slightly longer stud. I can compare two identical spindles here, one with CT ATC and one with BT atc, and the BT knob is longer.

Gauge lengths
    Machine Tool Shanks (Tapers)

My apologies to everyone; I have obviously spoken before engaging the brain on my previous comment.

To clarify: CT and BT pull studs will have the different length as shown by partsman's post because as he pointed out the two tapers have slightly different gauge lengths.

The spindle/drawbar will accept either a CT holder/pullstud combination or a BT holder/pullstud combination; meaning there is no difference in spindles for BT or CT machines. The only difference will be the tool changer fingers and tool change height location.

Partsman, one reason the seller said the machine was a BT but the sticker on machine is for CT could be that the previous owner converted the machine to match existing tooling supplies; that happens a lot.

Sorry again for confusing everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    My apologies to everyone; I have obviously spoken before engaging the brain on my previous comment.

To clarify: CT and BT pull studs will have the different length as shown by partsman's post because as he pointed out the two tapers have slightly different gauge lengths.

The spindle/drawbar will accept either a CT holder/pullstud combination or a BT holder/pullstud combination; meaning there is no difference in spindles for BT or CT machines. The only difference will be the tool changer fingers and tool change height location.

Partsman, one reason the seller said the machine was a BT but the sticker on machine is for CT could be that the previous owner converted the machine to match existing tooling supplies; that happens a lot.

Sorry again for confusing everyone.
    The sticker does not say CT, it says 40 taper. I think we are somehow over-thinking all of this. The sticker on the machine say the studs are the same length.

Will be interesting when it arrives.

Mike

The sticker does not say CT, it says 40 taper
    The sticker DOES say CT though. It says CT & DIN/ISO pullstuds are the same length. No mention of BT on trhe sticker.

I talked to the seller and was told, just as Haastec said, that the previous owner changed the tool changer fingers to match existing tooling. That makes me feel better. I guess once I get it powered up and try my first tool change I will know for sure.

Thanks again for all of the help!
    2000 Haas VF-2 : Tormach PCNC1100 :OneCnc XR5 Pro

The sticker DOES say CT though. It says CT & DIN/ISO pullstuds are the same length. No mention of BT on trhe sticker.

I talked to the seller and was told, just as Haastec said, that the previous owner changed the tool changer fingers to match existing tooling. That makes me feel better. I guess once I get it powered up and try my first tool change I will know for sure.

Now, tell us the stud length when you get it!

Haas Factory Support

This is not one of those trial and error situations. There are visible differences on the machine's tool changer. Does this machine have a side mount or umbrella style tool changer? Check out the attached pic of a CT40 tool arm. The BT flange is larger and closer to the center.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CT40.jpg  
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

It is an umbrella type. I will post a picture tomorrow.

I did find this informative video though. Looks like if the key extractor is on top of the extractors then it is BT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v

I just checked and my key extractor is on top so it looks like it musy be a BT40. Thanks for all of the help. I guess I need to get a new 'BT' sticker to avoid confusion later on.