585,602 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

New splash guard

So, I've been getting tired of the coolant spraying everywhere. I'd like one of the full enclosures people have been showing off around here, but I didn't want to put that much time into it. So I took some angle aluminum, some flat 1/8" thick aluminum, and a shower curtain and make a little shower. :-)
    It works GREAT, and captures about 95% of the spray. Took about an hour to finish. I kept it short, so that the motor cover could still open to change tools. There's no way this curtain will stop a projectile, but that's the point. Just contain the chips and splash.
    Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0107.jpg   IMG_0108.jpg  

Simple, but very effective. I have the power draw bar and the foot pedal, so there's no need to open the door for tool changes, so I coung make one as tall as the Z axis at the full up pisition.

Very cool. Mikey likes it.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Tom, really nice. Thats my favorite so far due simplicity and what I thnk would be really effective... And it looks nice.

Thats just a clear shower curtain? Where did you get the hangers/sliders?

David

Quote Originally Posted by David Bord View Post
    Where did you get the hangers/sliders?

David
    You can get the hangers at WalMart.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

That is a cool :idea: Nice and simple.
    I made these multi-piece side shields out of aluminum channel, bar and Lexan samples, way over complicated and splash still occurs over the top of the Tormach Lexan slider in front. Hope you don't mind but if imitation is the best form of flattery than I am going to copy your idea
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

Thanks! The curtain is actually a curtain liner, it came from Wal-Mart. If there was one thing I didn't like about this design, is the curtain hangers put too much of a gap between the rod and the curtain. Maybe there are smaller hangers out there?

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    If there was one thing I didn't like about this design, is the curtain hangers put too much of a gap between the rod and the curtain. Maybe there are smaller hangers out there?
    You could go to a local hardware store and buy come key rings.

The "KISS" principle at it's finest
    pete

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Sweetland View Post
    That is a cool :idea: Nice and simple.
    I made these multi-piece side shields out of aluminum channel, bar and Lexan samples, way over complicated and splash still occurs over the top of the Tormach Lexan slider in front. Hope you don't mind but if imitation is the best form of flattery than I am going to copy your idea
    Gerry
    +1.

David

I like this idea too. I'm wondering... if the curtain were made longer then perhaps we would not need the front drop down window. I've always found the window to be a pain. It might even be easier if the curtain was in two parts that draw together in the center (preferably with a little overlap somehow).

Very good idea! I am going to copy the hell out of this!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveKoerner View Post
    I like this idea too. I'm wondering... if the curtain were made longer then perhaps we would not need the front drop down window. I've always found the window to be a pain. It might even be easier if the curtain was in two parts that draw together in the center (preferably with a little overlap somehow).
    It's very possibly to do a split in the center, that was one option I had. Also, these curtain liners come with magnets in the bottom, so you can clasp the two halves together that way.

Which brings up an interesting question- How important is it to have protection (lexan), versus just keeping splashing contained? I haven't had many problems with flung parts, but I chose to keep the plastic door there just in case something comes off sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Seebold View Post
    You could go to a local hardware store and buy come key rings.
    Ah, key rings are a good idea. I was about to resort to #12 solid wire. :-)

Oh, one trick I used- When mounting the flat stock to the angle iron, I continued it behind and bent a 90deg angle, so that the flat stock mated to the angle iron on two sides (and screwed them together on both sides) so that the "curtain rod" can't rotate downwards.