585,956 active members*
4,281 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Sabre 1250 run away problem

Sabre 1250 run away problem

I have a sabre 1250 that has sat for 3 years. After changing the RT and WS batteries and sending out for repair a rusted solid X axis servo motor and a bad power supply, I just got the machine powered up. After pressing the green power on button to enable the drives the X axis started to run away to the right. It faulted out and displayed 2 alarms. The alarms were 44-44 and 44-45. Does anyone know what causes that problem and what I should do to fix it?

who repaired ur x axis motor? did they know the encoder in it must be realigned to the rotor to not run away like u describe? If not, that could be the issue.

I bet you nailed it on the head. We have a local repair shop that usually does a great job. I will run it back down to them to verify. If it is aligned, could it be anything else?

that is most likely based on the facts u have givn so far. it is hard for run away with ac servos since something wrong with the feedback usually makes them just lock in position at full current rather than run away anymore. also make sure u put the 3 motor leads back on the same way they came off the drive terminals marked Ma, Mb, & Mc....if anyone removed them.... if these are not on right terminals u can also get run away. i doubt the motor shop rewound the motor so it should still be ok at its terminals. ditto for the encoder wires in the motor as there is a small plug to disconnect it there.

Thank so much for the info. I am finally getting closer to getting the beast going. I have heard nothing but praise for these cincinnati milacron machines. I appreciate your responses. Again....Thank you!

The fact that you mention the motor being "rusted solid", makes me think "fluid infusion" (the old Vicker's term for a relatively common problem on these machines). If that is the case, I wouldn't necessarily agree with Kilroy's opinion that it is unlikely the motor repair did not include being rewound. Just one more thing to check on.

Typically when I've seen a runaway axis, it's been after the initial jog move is made. Since you indicated the axis takes off right away after pressing the green power on button I would assume the problem is likely in the motor repair/installation, and not elsewhere in the machine.

Out of curiousity, does this machine have scale feedback. Most 1250's I've worked on had scales on X and Y, which throws one more potential issue into the feedback loop if the motor checks out OK.

If the motor itself was in that condition, what was the encoder like, it is doubtful it escaped the same?
    Was the encoder changed? Checked? aligned?
    These are often symptoms of runaway
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

To supply a little more information, "fluid infusion" is what happened to the motor. The shaft was rusted solid and the encoder was shot. When I purchased this machine "as is" 3 years ago, it came with lots of tooling and spare parts. One of the spare parts was a servo motor case without the shaft. After sending the motor for rewind and to save some money, my local repair shop was able to use the flange and encoder from the spare to make a good motor. I called them today and described my issue. Since they repair a lot of Cincinnatis, they were pretty sure that the encoder was aligned but offered to recheck. So tomorrow they will pick up the motor and I should have an answer in a couple days. They said that if the motor is ok, they would like to have the drive to check the pair. By the way, the machine does have scale feedback. Any thoughts?