585,665 active members*
3,242 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > NL 150 CNC Lathe Reviews?

NL 150 CNC Lathe Reviews?

So I'm thinking about purchasing a CNC lathe. Have any of you used the NL-150 yet? There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion of it on the forum.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Toyhacker View Post
    So I'm thinking about purchasing a CNC lathe. Have any of you used the NL-150 yet? There doesn't seem to be a lot of discussion of it on the forum.

Regards
    Are they shipping yet? Their site says "In stock", but there isn't much other info available there yet that I could see and no one seems to have reported seeing one in the flesh or taking delivery of one yet.

Mike

i ordered one couple of months ago when i first saw it on the web site and according to sales, machine should be arriving Vancouver soon and then it will be trained to Toronto. users manual is also in the process of being produced.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    Are they shipping yet? Their site says "In stock", but there isn't much other info available there yet that I could see and no one seems to have reported seeing one in the flesh or taking delivery of one yet.

Mike

It will be interesting to hear your review. When do you expect to get it? A train from Vancouver to Toronto shouldn't take too long.

Of course Khai (sales person) will not give me a date yet but I did talk to him last week and he told me that he expect machine to arrive to Vancouver sometime this week. He also mentioned that they do share the container with other vendors and once container was stuck in customs for 2-3 months. If there are no hiccups I do expect to get mill and lathe by the middle of April. It will take me some time to get the machines from Garage to basement and get it going. I have seen lot of videos on the internet and created number of turning projects on cad an cam but do have some apprehension due to lack of hands on experience with lathe (yes I have seen the warnings). I am hoping that users manual will also help me get going. It will be a while before I can do any significant project on lathe.

If anybody can send me a pm with a pointer to right lathe tooling I will appreciate it.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    It will be interesting to hear your review. When do you expect to get it? A train from Vancouver to Toronto shouldn't take too long.

NL-150 Lathe Review

Novakon offered a super deal on the pre-production version and I have been testing it out for a month or so. Each bug and a couple of improvements we identified were passed on to Novakon and I have been assured they have been implemented in the production version. (Quite normal to expect a few glitches in any pre-production machine). Fortunately no show stoppers.

The Z axis had virtually no backlash and I was able to calibrate so that it is dot on accurate. The X axis backlash was out and we discovered that a washer had been missed during assembly. The production version has also been revised to improve accuracy.

The tool changer is quite robust, fast and very positive in action. Novakon supplies a VB subroutine to activate the tool changer. You simply enter “T0000” prior to the tool change instruction e.g. T0101.

The initial shipment was delayed to accommodate some improvements such as making the cabinet 4” deeper, adding a second pump/washing spray hose for general clean up, and changing the drawer chip collection system to be less complicated. The next group is currently in production and will be ready for shipment in about 30 days. Current shipment is expected shortly.

After initial calibration the unit proved very capable of providing accurate, fine looking results for facing, grooving and parting.

Similar to the mills, the electronics were designed and assembled in Canada and are tucked away neatly in the two end cabinets. Locally designed circuit boards allow relatively quick modifications to address any improvements. This was demonstrated recently on my NM-200 Series 3 electronics update. An in house modification was accomplished in two days.

The main shortcoming is the lack of an automated drilling capability. The tail stock can be used to center drill manually, but drilling cannot be performed using the tool post without some sort of jigging. I am experimenting with a plate & interchangeable blocks, to attach to the slide to hold 2 or 3 drills or boring tools. Will also look at MT and some sort of quick change setup. Discussing the feasibility with Novakon. Suggestions are welcome.

This particular proto was designed to simplify the production of a part I presently produce using the NM-200 Mill with custom fixtures to hold the individual parts (Time consuming and not as accurate as I would like) and a manual lathe. The idea is that once the mill work, (face 2 sides, through drill retaining hole and engrave) all remaining work could be done on the NL-150. This would consist of: ( P= Use tool post, H= Use tool holder.)

1. P Turn to set diameter
    2. P Face the end
    3. H Center drill
    4. H Drill ¼” hole ¾” deep
    5. H Mill/Drill Pocket to accommodate a threaded brass spline nut
    6. P Groove x 2
    7. P Part off

If it works as planned The NL150 will have proven its worth. Work handling and tool changes would be significantly reduced.

Attached are a few pictures of the initial prototype holder and the sample part this particular holder was designed for. I would envision various stock plate configurations as well as job specific holders. More info to follow as the design evolves.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3 Tool Holder-1.jpg   FM-1 Machining Complete.jpg   FM-1 Finished Product.jpg  

John,
    Thanks. Your write up is very useful. Two quick question for now.

1) for the tool changer routines .... can they be called from cam program?
    2) do lathe come as single unit? reason i am asking is to prepare for moving from garage to basement.

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMachining View Post
    Novakon offered a super deal on the pre-production version and I have been testing it out for a month or so. Each bug and a couple of improvements we identified were passed on to Novakon and I have been assured they have been implemented in the production version. (Quite normal to expect a few glitches in any pre-production machine). Fortunately no show stoppers.

The Z axis had virtually no backlash and I was able to calibrate so that it is dot on accurate. The X axis backlash was out and we discovered that a washer had been missed during assembly. The production version has also been revised to improve accuracy.

The tool changer is quite robust, fast and very positive in action. Novakon supplies a VB subroutine to activate the tool changer. You simply enter “T0000” prior to the tool change instruction e.g. T0101.

The initial shipment was delayed to accommodate some improvements such as making the cabinet 4” deeper, adding a second pump/washing spray hose for general clean up, and changing the drawer chip collection system to be less complicated. The next group is currently in production and will be ready for shipment in about 30 days. Current shipment is expected shortly.

After initial calibration the unit proved very capable of providing accurate, fine looking results for facing, grooving and parting.

Similar to the mills, the electronics were designed and assembled in Canada and are tucked away neatly in the two end cabinets. Locally designed circuit boards allow relatively quick modifications to address any improvements. This was demonstrated recently on my NM-200 Series 3 electronics update. An in house modification was accomplished in two days.

The main shortcoming is the lack of an automated drilling capability. The tail stock can be used to center drill manually, but drilling cannot be performed using the tool post without some sort of jigging. I am experimenting with a plate & interchangeable blocks, to attach to the slide to hold 2 or 3 drills or boring tools. Will also look at MT and some sort of quick change setup. Discussing the feasibility with Novakon. Suggestions are welcome.

This particular proto was designed to simplify the production of a part I presently produce using the NM-200 Mill with custom fixtures to hold the individual parts (Time consuming and not as accurate as I would like) and a manual lathe. The idea is that once the mill work, (face 2 sides, through drill retaining hole and engrave) all remaining work could be done on the NL-150. This would consist of: ( P= Use tool post, H= Use tool holder.)

1. P Turn to set diameter
    2. P Face the end
    3. H Center drill
    4. H Drill ¼” hole ¾” deep
    5. H Mill/Drill Pocket to accommodate a threaded brass spline nut
    6. P Groove x 2
    7. P Part off

If it works as planned The NL150 will have proven its worth. Work handling and tool changes would be significantly reduced.

Attached are a few pictures of the initial prototype holder and the sample part this particular holder was designed for. I would envision various stock plate configurations as well as job specific holders. More info to follow as the design evolves.

John

azam1959

1. Not using cam but I suspect you can place it in your post. You only have to specify it once when you start the machine..

2. It is delivered as one piece.

John

John,
    Thanks.

Just want to be sure ... do you see any screws which can separate stand from lathe?

azam1959

2. It is delivered as one piece.

John

azam1959

From what I can feel when I reach underneath there appears to be 2 main mounting bolts.

As well you would have to remove some oil lines & electrial connections.

John

Thanks John.

azam1959

From what I can feel when I reach underneath there appears to be 2 main mounting bolts.

As well you would have to remove some oil lines & electrial connections.

John

NL-150

I emailed Khai that very question as the entrance to my basement is only 39" high (it's an old house). Anyway, apparently the stand and machine are welded together so they can't be dissassembled.

Regards

Toyhacker

I'm afraid I answered the question literally. The lathe can be removed as indicated. (Cut down weight).

The top & bottom portions of the enclosure as Khai indicated, are welded and will not solve your height problem.

Sorry I missed your intent.

John

I do not have door height issue but width is little tight .... 29.5 inches. I think I will have to unpack the machine in garage. Other issue is stairs, machine is close to 1000 lb and smaller pieces will be safe for the movers. I thought mill will the challenge but now good news is that mill is only half the challenge :-) somebody advised me to put both mill and lathe in the garage and claim the victory now that advise has more weight but will not give up before trying. I have three movers on the list, once I get the machines, I will call all of them and will hire the most competent company.

Toyhacker

I'm afraid I answered the question literally. The lathe can be removed as indicated. (Cut down weight).

The top & bottom portions of the enclosure as Khai indicated, are welded and will not solve your height problem.

Sorry I missed your intent.

John

Re: NL-150 Lathe Review

The all new NL-150 Shop Series by Novakon will revolutionize the CNC Lathe market, offering exclusive Novakon features at Novakon's amazing prices. The NL-150 is a collaboration of customer requests and machinists needs, that place the NL-150 light years ahead of the competition in this category. Package Includes:

· NL-150 CNC Lathe
    · 2 Axis Modular Controller (Manufactured in North America)
    · Stand
    · Coolant Containment System
    · Cables
    · Mach 3 Control Software (Full License)
    · Complimentary copy of The Home Shop Machinist magazine
    · Complimentary copy of Digital Machinist magazine
    · Machine Inspection Report
    · 12 Month Limited Warranty

You can contact at 877-258-3336

Dears,
    I've a CNC lathe type NL-150 SMC and during its start up this morning ,it doesn't complete and the following message was appeared :
    Graphic is ready,Boot start.
    in this case what can I do? please help.
    Regards.