586,000 active members*
4,953 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc 15B Controllers

I am new to the forum, so I hope this is the right place to post.

I have two Heian CNC woodworking routers that use the Fanuc 15MB control. They have a 9" monchrome screen. One failed to boot up yeaterday, so in troubleshooting to find a bad card we swapped cards between machines, (after backing up the one that was still working). After a couple attemps we found a bad card on the Adax board and replaced. We also found a memory upgrade card (a year ago they were upgraded from 128K to 2M) was bad causing the video to go out.

Now the bad part. In troubleshooting to see if the Main C card was bad, all cards were swapped including the F-Rom. Now both machines will not boot up. They get to the CNC DATA SEARCH: ERROR.

If I hit reset I get to the SRAM card load screen, but loading the backup appears to do no good. If I hold PG up/Pg dn during power up it does not change. If I hold 7 & 9 during power up, no change. If I hold -&. during power up no change.

Any ideas what to do from here. I do have a third machine that is the same, if I can get any needed info from it without destroying it.

Thanks in advance to all. I feel like a real idiot at this point with two dead production machines.

Glenn

if you put the working cards back in the working machine (back to original) does it boot up?
    If not you may have blown one of the boards.... probably the same one that has died in the non-working machine due to the fault in the machine damaging it too.
    also if you swapped the memory card you have lost all the parameters and PMC stuff and possibly the ladder as well (although it may be in the FROM). you will need to restore everything from a backup.
    it may help to go into the IPL screen and do the system checks etc. on later machines (16/18/21) it's power on while holding right arrow > and the soft key on its immediate left. but that may not help if it wont boot up. you're probably going to need professional help from Fanuc.

Card's back in original spot. Still not working.

cannot get IPL screen

"If I hit reset I get to the SRAM card load screen, but loading the backup appears to do no good. If I hold PG up/Pg dn during power up it does not change. If I hold 7 & 9 during power up, no change. If I hold -&. during power up no change."

Is the MDI keyboard working? Check in the Main PCB connector JA2. Is it connected?

Regards
    Alex

After hitting Reset and getting the SRAM loading screen, I can use the up/down arrow keys and the Input key. I think this means the Keyboard is working.

I am going to try and re-seat the F-ROM chip, thinking that the basic commands like IPL screen should come from this card. It is my understanding that even if battery power is lost, this system should come up to the IPL screen.

Thanks.

the from board has the system software on it (and ladder?). You may have (had) a module in the wrong slot and that could damage it; we have a control that is only used for testing boards; call me at 289 389 6117 Monday.

After an afternoon of cleaning and re-seating cards, both machines are back functional.

Thanks to all that replied in my hour of need.

Glenn :banana: