585,914 active members*
3,693 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > Setting up a Cincinnati Arrow 1000

Setting up a Cincinnati Arrow 1000

Hey all, I'm as new to CNC as a newborn, and I'm trying to figure out what all I need to get our Cincinnati Arrow 1000 up and running. Here are my questions:

What air supply do we need? Is 14 SCFM @ 85 +/- 15 psi really what is needed?

What tool holders do we need? I think we need Cat 40 tool holders, but beyond that I'm clueless. What retention knobs are needed? And how does the tool holder actually hold the tool? Is there an attachment to the tool holder or does it operate like a chuck?

What coolant do we need?

The only thing we have done is have the machine hooked up to power. We don't have the cooling tanks or pump installed yet or the shipping brackets removed. Anyone have any clear ideas on how to install the tanks? And how to remove the Z axis shipping block (do we need to raise the spindle before we can remove it)?

We have the manuals, but they can be a bit vague at times. I also want to be 100% certain I am doing this right so as to not spend more money than we have to.

Thanks!

Oh also, any links to specific parts we need would be GREATLY appreciated

Wow. Looks like you have got your hands full.

Yes - 85psi + of air pressure, and lots of it. Arrows use quite a bit of air even when they are just sitting idle (due to the spindle oiler). Filtered and dry air is the best.

Yes you will need CAT 40 holders (note that they must be placed in the carousel in one direction only). And your manual will specify the proper pull studs. (shars.com sells them for cheap)

Manuals wont tell you how to install the coolant tanks, should be fairly straightforward though.

Yes you will have to power up the machine and raise the head to remove the shipping block (normally just a thick cardboard tube, but maybe a 6x6 or similar). You will need to remove the shipping brackes on the base of the machine and plug/seal the holes (x4) or coolant will leak through them.

Before getting too carried away the machine will need to be leveled and sitting on all 6 pucks.

Okay thanks! Looks like we will need to get an air compressor then.
    The machine should already be leveled, but I'll double check that.
    I'm still looking for retention studs, currently following a lead that might get me to what i need.
    As for tool holders, can you give me a link of something I would need? I'm still trying to figure out which ones we need and how they hold a tool.
    I'll be going later today to try to see about installing the coolant tanks.

Thanks for your help?

Yes you will definately need an air compressor, the machine won't even turn on without adequate air supply.

If the machine was simply placed in position on your shop floor, it wont be level. Even if it was level at a previous location. You need a *very* precise level and need to check that the table is level at it full extents of travel.

You'd probably be well off to purchase a tooling package such as this: Techniks CAT 40 Tooling Package Saves You Money on New Machine Tool Ups!

This would get you going with a good range of tool holders. There are two types in this package: 1) Side-lock (weldon) which basically a set screw tightens against a flat on an endmill. 2) ER Collet chuck which use spring collets of different ID's to hold a round shank endmill or drill.

Laka is right about a precise level. For proper levelling of these machines we use a 0.0002"/ft. level. I can't tell you how many shops I've been into to install a machine and the customer tells me "we already levelled the machine so you won't have to", but when I look into it, they used a carpenter's level. The other issue I run into is people who level the machine in a static position, but don't take the twist out of it.

Regarding air supply, all Arrows and Sabres use air for the drawbar to release the tools and spindle air purge, but depending on year and the options on your machine, the consumption varies substantially. Common items that increase the air consumption are:
    Spindle oiler (on all but the early Sabres)
    Air actuated ATC (on early models)
    Scale feedback - scales are air purged to prevent contamination

If buying a new air compressor for your shop, plan for worst case scenario to ensure you don't come up short but if you won't be changing tools too frequently and don't want to buy a new compressor yet, you may be able to get by putting an accumulator in front of the machine and using your old compressor (assuming you have one).

Ok, so we have our air compressor, we have the machine leveled using a high precision laser level, I have the coolant tanks in, so all we need to do now is clean the machine and get things hooked up.

We are looking into some air dryers, but I'm having trouble finding good ones that aren't for industrial use, or are just for air tools. Does anyone have any recommendation for this?

After this we will be getting some tool holders and a few other bits