584,866 active members*
5,054 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Hi Everyone another Newb here!

Hi Everyone another Newb here!

Well i finally got my X2 cnc up and running. I am hoping some one can point me in the right direction on what to do to get this fixed.
    I have a code in and i was running small rectangle cut outs. I got 6 done with no problems and on the 7th one it went pass were it was supposed to turn and broke the bit. So i tried again zeroed everything put a new bit in and when it was supposed to turn it went the oppisite way and broke the bit. I ran the program with nothing in the vise and it looks like its doing what its supposed to... any ideas? Would running this to fast cause this?
    Thank you for any help! I am using mach3 and simple cnc

It sounds like you're losing steps. When that happens, the machine thinks it's someplace other than where it actually is, and will keep going until it arrives where it thinks it's supposed to go, even if that's wrong and breaks an endmill.

It could be velocity, and it could be acceleration. You should probably reduce both. in Mach3's motor tuning dialogue. Start with a velocity of say 25, and an acceleration of 2.5. If you still lose steps, reduce it further, keeping the 10-1 proportion the same, until it will reliably complete your test rectangle. If the tests conclude perfectly, you might be brave and raise them a bit. Remember to "save axis changes" or it will revert to previous values.

When calling out the feedrates for your program, it should be well under the velocity indicated in motor tuning, preferably calculated using the recommended chipload of a designated material per flute of your cutter, and de-rated a bit to compensate for the deficiencies of your machine as compared to the industrial beast the charts are calculated for.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Thank you so much I will go and do some more motor tuning Thanks again!

How would i set the stepper motors to 1/4 step i have them set for a full step as of now. That was the only directions i saw on the net to set them up. Think there called the dip switches.

I have the KL 4030 the 1/4 step is 1 0 1 does that mean for all of them on off on and so on ?