585,906 active members*
3,597 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Extremely low-cost first router

Hi all.
    After scrounging the forum for several months and tinkering around for a while, i finally got something to show.

Background: Since i'm a student I don't have huge funds to build a plasma router with big-a$$ servo motors :banana: , so i had to settle with an extremely low budget machine, meaning using whatever i had lying around and found in scrap machinery.
    Low budget meaning, so far i've spent about 12€ on it (that's what.. 15$?)

so, here are some pics:
    How it started:
    http://users.pandora.be/svendecock/f...e/100_0938.JPG
    This was scrapped, since i got binding or twisting in every single direction..not good :nono:

So i started over.. and this is what it became :
    http://users.pandora.be/svendecock/f...e/100_0939.JPG
    http://users.pandora.be/svendecock/f...e/100_0943.JPG

Now i need some stepper drivers.. the X-axis has a 3A/phase stepper, something a L298 obviously can't handle without a heatsink (don't worry i was just testing, disposable PCB )

So, c&c welcome, just be gentle ...

That's definately a low cost approach!

How do your parents feel about you using the kitchen countertop for material?

Have you powered it up or done any cutting yet, or are you still looking for the drivers?

Nice inginuity, Scud!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Scud, Keep it up. I think there should be a contest to see who can build the most inexpensive machine, including electronics. Maybe keeping the specs. at +- 0.01 would be a good goal. There's a lot you could do with 10 thou.

Quote Originally Posted by mxtras
    How do your parents feel about you using the kitchen countertop for material?

Have you powered it up or done any cutting yet, or are you still looking for the drivers?

Scott
    Actually it's this huge bureau my dad got for free which he usually uses for painting his miniatures, so he's not to happy with me stealing his workspot

I did a little testrun with some L297/L298 drivers a friend made a few years ago but they weren't designed to cope with the max amps the drivers can source/sink, so i kinda turned them in to chocolate..
    The motors did run for about 2 minutes though, looks KICKA$$ to see your machine go for the first time!!

I got two L298 board layouts to be etched at school, should have them by wednesday, i'll be sure to keep you guys posted on more news.

I'm not quite sure what to use as a spindle yet though, i was thinking of using the dremel but i'm guessing that'll kill the accuracy of the cuts, so maybe i'll get a friend to work out something on his lathe.. i do have some good motors lying around somewhere.. anyone got any ideas?

ps: thanks for the great comments ! :banana:

And you're gonna control it with the Gameboy in the second picture?

10 thou would be great, but i'm actually not being too optimistic about that.
    I think there's going to be some play in the Z-axis, i can't give an exact reason, i just have this strange feeling...

I am going to try to keep the price as low as possible though, i only need two more L298's for the drivers, all other parts i have lying around.
    I even got a switched 24v 10A power supply and an old laptop (free!!) so if all goes well i just might be able to keep the costs below 25$...

Quote Originally Posted by pib
    And you're gonna control it with the Gameboy in the second picture?
    Lol, no actually the gameboy is my DSO, got one of those elektor cartridges.
    If you ever get the chance to pick one of these up, don't hesitate!! That thing has prevented multiple stress-heartattacks during schoolprojects with deadlines!

Lot's of people use Dremels for the spindle. I would recommend trying it to start.

That will simplify things a lot...
    I'll give it a go, it just might be enough for what i need!
    Thx buscht!

An L6203 will handle 4A, you need two per axis though...

Well, it's working..Here's a clip i made last week testing X and Y axis with a ballpoint pen.

Since then i've added Z-axis drivers, a dremel, and a full-grown router

It works, however sometimes the X-axis loses ALOT of steps, for some reason or the other, very consistent, for example when i try to cut a part in 4 passes, i just get the part 4 times, 2-3cm's apart, each one slighly deeper (chair)

Plus the rails give quite a lot of flex, but i have an idea in mind that i'm gonna try out within a few hours...

I have some more clips of it actually routing bits, but my webspace is overpopulated right now