585,992 active members*
5,404 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Some things to keep in mind when bashing IH

I visited the Industrial Hobbies shop in CT just over a month ago to take a look around, and I wanted to add my 2 cents. Tommy is a nice guy, and definitely a perfectionist. I just wanted to emphasize something important that contributes to IH's long lead times. Upon receiving a mill from Taiwan, IH opens the shipping crate and tears down the mill. Everything is meticulously inspected. Tommy modifies the mill himself to the customer's specifications, and some of these modifications seemed to be quite extensive and time consuming as I recall. The mills are than carefully re-assembled. For a turnkey CNC mill, Tommy sets up the computer and the Mach 3 control software. This whole process is going to take a long time. There are lots of small production aspects that are done in Tommy's shop, rather than on the floor of an overseas supplier.

Also, I got the sense that Tommy has been constantly re-designing the IH mill since he acquired Industrial Hobbies. New features are constantly being added, and Tommy seems to be on the constant search for the perfect high-end hobbyist mill. Big things are always happening in the IH shop, and a lot of Tommy's time is going towards future products (this I know for a fact ).

Most IH competitors get a batch of mills made to their specification from wherever, and than simply ship the crate out to the customer. If that's what you want, buy something else.

As for successfully running a business, keep in mind that Tommy's acquisition of IH is still somewhat recent. Some people would call a few years a long time, but it really isn't when it comes to running a business such as IH. As I described above, IH is a lot more than a simple buying and selling operation. There is a steep learning curve, and many of these things are learned through trial and error as small companies making products such as IH are not especially common. There is no instruction manual for how to run a unique place like Industrial Hobbies. Some of the stories I have heard here do seem inexcusable (not getting simple parts shipped out or a software license), however as Tommy himself has not extensively commented on these stories, I will not go as far as to judge when there are mixed reviews and the negative ones are one sided. I am not trying to take credibility away from anybody on here, however hearing one persons argument is rarely enough to fully understand a situation.

I would definitely look further into the claims various customers have put fourth on here before buying one of Tommy's mills, however I have to say that I was very impressed with Industrial Hobbies, their products, and Tommy's enthusiasm and hospitality.

Quote Originally Posted by sburck View Post
    I visited the Industrial Hobbies shop in CT just over a month ago to take a look around, and I wanted to add my 2 cents. Tommy is a nice guy, and definitely a perfectionist. I just wanted to emphasize something important that contributes to IH's long lead times. Upon receiving a mill from Taiwan, IH opens the shipping crate and tears down the mill. Everything is meticulously inspected. Tommy modifies the mill himself to the customer's specifications, and some of these modifications seemed to be quite extensive and time consuming as I recall. The mills are than carefully re-assembled. For a turnkey CNC mill, Tommy sets up the computer and the Mach 3 control software. This whole process is going to take a long time. There are lots of small production aspects that are done in Tommy's shop, rather than on the floor of an overseas supplier.

Also, I got the sense that Tommy has been constantly re-designing the IH mill since he acquired Industrial Hobbies. New features are constantly being added, and Tommy seems to be on the constant search for the perfect high-end hobbyist mill. Big things are always happening in the IH shop, and a lot of Tommy's time is going towards future products (this I know for a fact ).

Most IH competitors get a batch of mills made to their specification from wherever, and than simply ship the crate out to the customer. If that's what you want, buy something else.

As for successfully running a business, keep in mind that Tommy's acquisition of IH is still somewhat recent. Some people would call a few years a long time, but it really isn't when it comes to running a business such as IH. As I described above, IH is a lot more than a simple buying and selling operation. There is a steep learning curve, and many of these things are learned through trial and error as small companies making products such as IH are not especially common. There is no instruction manual for how to run a unique place like Industrial Hobbies. Some of the stories I have heard here do seem inexcusable (not getting simple parts shipped out or a software license), however as Tommy himself has not extensively commented on these stories, I will not go as far as to judge when there are mixed reviews and the negative ones are one sided. I am not trying to take credibility away from anybody on here, however hearing one persons argument is rarely enough to fully understand a situation.

I would definitely look further into the claims various customers have put fourth on here before buying one of Tommy's mills, however I have to say that I was very impressed with Industrial Hobbies, their products, and Tommy's enthusiasm and hospitality.
    It all sounds good, but reading the posts on this forum from people who have bought in the last couple years, they still find all sorts of mechanical problems, dirt and metal shavings in the bearings etc. Maybe Tommy is just a real good self promoter.

I just took delivery of my IH mill within the past week. I have found no such issues with metal flakes in the crankcase, warped bearings, or anything of the sort previously mentioned in the archives. Mine is a manual mill. I got the DRO and the VFD, and everything went together quickly. The VFD was programmed. The DRO was disassembled for shipping but everything that could/should have been mounted, was. The head was had a full quotient of oil, so obviously someone had tested it before it went out.

Maybe I'm just trying to justify to myself having laid out the $$ and waited half a year, but it does seem to me someone actually cared about sending me a good quality product. I wasn't an extraordinarily communicative customer, and the wait didn't bother me. But every time I needed to talk to those guys, or they needed to talk to me, things went quickly and smoothly.

I realize others haven't had the same experience. I am happy with how things went.

I understand all that, but business is business. I'm not looking to make new friends as a consumer. I'm looking for a reputable business that does what they say, when they say they'll do it, delivering quality products I can trust, period. Just like my customers expect me to do!

I spoke with Tommy a couple of years back when I was shopping for a mill/CNC machine, and he seemed like a great guy. After reading all the complaints and stumbles from IHC, I decided to go with a competitor's machine, and couldn't be happier.

If there's such a way to separate the two, the personal side of me feels for Tommy's situation, but the business side of me wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole and didn't.

IHC isn't the only vendor providing quality hobbyist/mid duty production machines. If I can't enter into a business relationship with IHC purchasing one as agreed, then who cares how quality the machine is.

There's nothing unique about IHC's business model, business is business regardless, it's just that simple. The only other thing I would ask the OP is, did you or are you going to buy a machine from them?

andyc

All true. They're certainly not differentiating themselves with good customer communication. I did email Tommy with a few questions when I got the mill installed - some minor missing parts, like did they forget to ship them or do I not know where they are? No reply after over a week. I guess they prefer telephone.

But when I look at what I laid out for this machine now realizing I could have bought something else and actually had people answering for their product, I am feeling a bit like a dummy. I'm a newbie and could use the customer support. These may have been the wrong guys for me to do business with. We'll see if anything changes.

Cheers

I ordered my turnkey mill in mid december having read the previous posts. being a manufacturer and fabricator myself, i have a good understanding of being a literal one man band and working to make it grow. But my gut instinct after calling and talking to Tommy Spada was that he was confident in his abilities to give me what i want, and that should something happen, he would make it right.
    I don't have the space or the cash for a large cnc. So this was what i decided on for my mold making and small production needs. As long as Tommy sticks by the product if i have a problem, and the machine does what i need without failing then i plan to order a second one this summer. I see someone who is trying to make it work in a market flooded with cheap foreign crap with questionable support in this price range. I want to help Tommy to grow and prosper thru my business, and that is every bit what will happen as long as the product does the job for me. I expected a 12 to 16 week lead time based on what i originally read here. Making carbon fiber race car wings for customers has a 30 day lead time in my shop. I am meticulous, my wings must last several seasons and withstand 200 mph trap speeds. I don't rush my product either, because i don't want it coming back to me in pieces. I will update soon with my impressions once we have confirmation that the mill is being shipped here in the next 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by kognition View Post
    I ordered my turnkey mill in mid december having read the previous posts. being a manufacturer and fabricator myself, i have a good understanding of being a literal one man band and working to make it grow. But my gut instinct after calling and talking to Tommy Spada was that he was confident in his abilities to give me what i want, and that should something happen, he would make it right.
    I don't have the space or the cash for a large cnc. So this was what i decided on for my mold making and small production needs. As long as Tommy sticks by the product if i have a problem, and the machine does what i need without failing then i plan to order a second one this summer. I see someone who is trying to make it work in a market flooded with cheap foreign crap with questionable support in this price range. I want to help Tommy to grow and prosper thru my business, and that is every bit what will happen as long as the product does the job for me. I expected a 12 to 16 week lead time based on what i originally read here. Making carbon fiber race car wings for customers has a 30 day lead time in my shop. I am meticulous, my wings must last several seasons and withstand 200 mph trap speeds. I don't rush my product either, because i don't want it coming back to me in pieces. I will update soon with my impressions once we have confirmation that the mill is being shipped here in the next 2 weeks.
    Did you get your IH mill? If so, have you checked it's accuracy for both short and long distances? I went through two IH mills and neither was accurate. Let me know if you would.

James