585,761 active members*
4,129 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Z Axis fault Error #16 Resolver Fault

Z Axis fault Error #16 Resolver Fault

The mill has just started a new job and as I turned my back, I heard an awful clunk and bang. My VMC15 has just dropped my new tool holder onto two vises below it. I didn't see exactly what happened but I am assuming it over travel the Z and missed the tool changer umbrella.

The message on the screen read, "Z Axis Fault Error #16 Resolver Fault"

I looked up the error in the manual and check all the fuses it referred to, F23, F24, F27 and F28. All fine.

Also tried to jog the axis according to the screen then CS, but the error remains.

Some one told me to check the resolver coils with an ohm meter and that checked out.

I also posted a pic of the 1010 board with a flashing red LED (in yellow circle)

Not sure at this point what has failed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1010 flashing.jpg  

The flashing LED is on the 1010 card in slot 9 which is the X axis, although the Z axis has faulted.

Why would this card LED flash when the 1010 card in slot 11 should be flashing?

Thanks for nobody's help on this forum that is supposed to be the best. Got it fixed on my own.

Was it just your lead (bullet connector)? Those cards do flash when they are working right.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

Quote Originally Posted by centaur91 View Post
    Thanks for nobody's help on this forum that is supposed to be the best. Got it fixed on my own.
    What did you learn? I have the same error code.

The X-axis has been making a scratchy sound for a while. I have been told that it is probably the thrust bearing. The noise started getting worse one hot day this week. Finally the machine (1992-93 VMC20) stopped with the error message:

X axis fault
    error #16
    resolver fault or motor over temperature

I assumed it was from the heat. It hit 87° in the shop and I have always fought overheating on this mill. I had the computer cabinet open with a fan blowing on it all day. But this time it never came back to life.

I pulled the motor off and found a lot of play in the shaft. When I rotate it by hand, it clunks and sounds scratchy, like a bearing is bad. I also found coolant in the enclosure where the resolver is.

I have sprayed the contacts on the boards with contact cleaner, as well as the resolver where there was coolant contamination.

One weird thing I did see at one point was with the constantly updated number on the "jog" screen next to the coordinate (sorry, I don't know the technical term). It normally sits at 0 and maybe oscillates +/- 2 or 3, but it was spiking to 700+ on the z axis. I'm not even having any trouble with the z axis. It is the x axis that is faulting most of the time. I have seen the z axis in the error message a couple of times.

Edit: I am an amateur. Once I switch to AC volts (not DC) I was able to get a reading from the y and z axis resolvers, but nothing from the x axis. Time for a new resolver!