584,829 active members*
4,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Has anyone used the 5th axis function

Has anyone used the 5th axis function

I was wondering if anyone has used the 5th axis in Deskproto 6. They don't provide much in doc's.
    Don

Hi Don,

Have you looked in the DeskProto Tutorial PDF ? (Support > Manuals on the DeskProto website)
    Lesson 7 does give an in-depth introduction in the five-axis use of DeskProto.

Lex.

What?

I love using Deskproto but don't think it will let you do 5 axis using mach3. If so I'm missing something. Hopefully the next version will. Also the pop up messages should be a little clearer.
    Thanks
    Don clifton

DeskProto's 5th axis function is limited to indexing at this point. You can tilt the rotary table (manually), which is supported by some machines like the Roland MDX-40, and Deskproto will work out a toolpath taking that into consideration.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

I was going to build a tilt table for my indexer. I think I have the idea of how it works but it's far from a true 5 axis. It doesn't do simultaneous axis machining. I use Deskproto for all my rotary machining and think its the best out there, but wish it could do more in 5 axis machining.
    Don Clifton

Hi Don,

On Oct 1st you wrote "what", which seems a little concise.
    Still the forum entry that you responded to contains a lot of information on this subject.
    You can find the Tutorial book on www.deskproto.com/download/manuals.htm
    Open this file, proceed to Lesson 7 and you can read what is possible for 5-axis work in DeskProto (and what is not).

Lex.

PS: DeskProto V6 supports more than just the manually tilted rotation axis of the Roland MDX-40: automatic rotations round A and B are now possible. Still: only indexed machining.
    Also see the 5-axis video on www.deskproto.com/support/videos-various.htm

On page 99 of the tutorial it shows a setup page. I can not find that page using the instruction listed. in the program in part parameters it has two check boxed and "use rotational-axis tilt option is grayed out. So it seems to me that this option is not available using Mach 3. I do have an indexer which I was going to add a tilt table. The "What" in my post was in response to a now deleted post. Is the tilt 5axis option only for limited machine.
    Thanks
    Donald Clifton

Hi Donald,

Thanks for explaining the "what": I did not even know that it is possible to delete messages.

The dialog on page 99 of the Tutorial (the Operation Start/End settings) can be found in the Operation parameters. Tab Advanced, button Settings (for Start/End).

Perhaps for you the entry "Move B-axis to" will have been greyed out in this dialog.
    In that case you need to go to the machine definition for your machine (Options > Library of machines", go to the Advanced settings dialog and tell DeskProto that your machine has a 5th Axis. Check the CNC-controlled option, not the manually tilted. For more information please use the Help button in that dialog.

This also explains why the "use rotational-axis tilt option" is grayed out, and why you do not need that one.

Success !

Lex.

Thanks Lex, I see it and have the ability to check that box now. Are the parameters shown on page 99 basiclly offsets for when the block rotates to rezero the work piece.
    I'll play around with it and again as always thanks. I do love the program.
    Donald Clifton

Hi Donald,

Re-zeroing is not needed: the idea is that the zero point (both in DeskProto and on the machine) is exactly on the rotation point (see where A axis and B-axis intersect). Read Lesson 7 for all details.

Also interesting is to open sample project FiveAxisSample.dpj (it can be found in the Samples folder that is installed with every DeskProto).

The other Move parameters as present in this dialog (on page 99) can be used to move the cutter away to a safe retraction point before rotating.

Lex.

Thanks
    Don clifton

Pretty cool video; I didn't know DeskProto could do that (extracting foot from mouth). I'm going to have to put together a trunnion table and try something like it myself.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software