584,830 active members*
5,557 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X axis failure

Gentlemen some advise please, Its the week end here so I cant ring Haas local.
    when I power up my TM2 mill there is a loud click clack and the system stops and alarms saying something about X axis failure... I tried it several times and in the end it worked , and continued to work all day. I suspect a contactor is on the way out ... Any advise please cheers Peter

Haas Factory Support

Did you get this resolved?
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Ken thanks for responding... No not yet I have been busy with other stuff and only use the mill from time to time , I bought it new 05 or 06 and only use it for my hobby in retirement do you have some suggestions ? cheers Peter

Haas Factory Support

I have asked the service department to take a look.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

What was the alarm? On the TM machines chips can easily get on the sensors for homing the axis and then the machine will run past it and can hit the end of the travel. Sometimes the chip gets displaced and when the machine is shut off and then restarted it can behave correctly.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Ken and Geof thanks for you interest ....Hey Geof you old KIWI its been a while........ the 2 alarms are "102 Servo motors off :.. And 161, "Axis drive fault.".. ... "current in X servo Beyond limit" "Poss overload of motor" "poss short in motor" Poss short in motor lead to ground"

For back ground the unit has only recorded 470 hrs since 2006 when it was new... Also , I generally dont park this machine in the home possition as it takes up part of the walk way. I home it at the start up .

The fault first started a couple of mths ago then the Z would rise the limit stop then the X would trip out .. reset it and all was well . This happend 3 times.

The last few times the machine would trip out as soon as I press the hold down buttion or use setting 51 "doors open" even before the set up button was pushed .. some times it would take 2 or 3 attemps at the reset button to make it work then it would be good for the rest of the maching job say 4/5 hrs

Kind regards Peter

I think you are a candidate for a visit from the repairman. One of my machines showed that list of alarms and it was an intermittent short in the cable to the motor.

It has been a while since I noticed any posts from you. Pity you hadn't tried using your machine a few months ago, I was down in Brisbane in February with nothing to do except play a game of golf. I was on a circumnavigation cruise of Australia on the Queen Mary 2.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Does sound like something is up with the motor cable possibly.

Check to make sure it is plugged into the motor correctly and check to see if there is any damage where it flexes when the Y moves front/back.

Before grabbing the cable or connections, put it in E-Stop for safety. There is high voltage present otherwise and you don't need it shorting on you while grabbing it if that is what is wrong.

Good luck!

Haastech thanks for the advise

Geof well thats a pity I missed you looks like it might be my turn next then,,,, So you got to sail around this big brown land. what did you think of the Great Austrailian Bight on the Southern seaboard , thats if they sailed close enough to see it........ lime stone cliffs that go on for about 1100 klm with very little access to the shore other that that what 6 cities , {wow all of 6 } to call in on 7 if you go to Tasmaina. But I guess the real entertainment would have been on the Ship . I hope you had a good time cheers Peter

Haas Factory Support

From the service techs:
    While the behavior does indicate a possible cable fault, the problem may also be coming from the X limit switch which is much easier to fix.
    Thanks,
    Ken Foulks

Ken thanks for your help I will get the local guys to look at it Kind regards peter