585,886 active members*
5,827 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fitted curves

For a long time now I’ve had a problem with exporting dxf files from dolphin. I like to trace bitmaps with the fitted curve tool which allows me to go back and edit near points but when I export the dxf it comes out truncated or in a series of straight lines, no curves. I’ve asked on several forums about this problem, no one has had an answer. The other day after being frustrated again I thought I’d try this extract tool. Since I’ve never played with it before and had no idea what it’s for. I brought it to the page clicked nothing happened then I clicked on a fitted curve and it converted it to lines and arcs. Ok a simple task that ends years of frustration right there the whole time. All my dxf files export perfectly every time, and tool paths don’t screw up in the cam modal any more. It feels like a giant weight has been lifted of me and now I have more power to create and share. Also I don’t feel like an idiot because no one said hey why don’t you try this little button over here.

Have look under View > Preferences > Curves and View > Preferences > Tracing for more options.

ATB
    Andre

Interesting to know Sqatch.

Also when drawing fitted curves I just discovered if you double click without moving your mouse you get a straight line to your last near point. A very handy feature I didnt see in the manual. I hope I can find more hidden tricks.