585,712 active members*
4,038 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Hypertherm Finecut Consumables

Hi Jim

At this moment I have a TD Cutskill 35a as I thought 20 Amper would be enough to make a nice cut on thin sheet metal. As this power source has a short duty cycle and as I plan to cut thicker materials on my CNC table I decided to sell this small TD and buy something bigger in the future. I have seen Hypertherm 65/85 have finecut nozzle option. Before I purchase a Hypertherm Powermax 65 I would like to ask you for more details. I will mostly be using 20GA or 12GA stainless steel. I want to get the narrowest kerf width and perfect edge as I would like to cut out small parts of the plate.
    What options Hypertherm offers on finecut range? Can you provide me with Hypertherm item no. of finecut nozzles and their details? Item no/Orifice/amperage? Are they standoff tips or dragtips. I have a Digital THC system so I preffer to use standoff tips.

Thanks Jim

The Hypertherm FineCut consumables are designed to provide the best cut quality on materials (steel, stainless and aluminum) from 26 gauge to 10 gauge. They operate at between 30 and 45 Amps, and can be used for either standoff cutting (with a torch height control) or for drag cutting. Height control is critical in order to achieve the best quality and consistency with these parts on thin gauge materials.

Hypertherm nozzles (we do not have a part called a tip) are identified by their function (FineCut) and or their Power levels...we do not reference them by the orifice size as many of our nozzle designs have a stepped orifice to promote longer life and higher energy density in the arc. There is only one size of the FineCut nozzle....and it can operate at up to 45 amps.

The Fine Cut consumables part numbers can be found on our website...this link should get you to the available consumables: Powermax65 handheld plasma cutter | Hypertherm

There are two choices for the retaining cap.....they both cut the same but part number 220953 has provisions for height controls that use "ohmic contact" to sense the surface of the plate (many PlasmaCam, Dynatorch and almost all industrial cnc machines us this technology).

For the shield....I recommend using the 220948 for all FineCut use....as it does not allow the nozzle to contact the plate.

The Hypertherm manual has listings for the kerf width for each material type and thickness (I could send you the cut specs in a .pdf file....this site will not let me attach a .pdf). For 20 gauge and 12 ga SS the estimated kerf is approximately .025" wide (20 ga) and .023" wide (12 ga).

We also have a new set of speed charts for the FineCut consumables as many of the low cost cnc machines today have maximum cut speed limits below about 150 ipm....so Hypertherm process engineers spent a few weeks in the labs developing new cut charts on thin gauge steel, stainless and aluminum designed to keep speeds below 150. These new charts have not officially been released yet....but I can provide copies of them.

Hope this helps....you can contact me directly if more info is needed.

Jim Colt [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by none View Post
    Hi Jim

At this moment I have a TD Cutskill 35a as I thought 20 Amper would be enough to make a nice cut on thin sheet metal. As this power source has a short duty cycle and as I plan to cut thicker materials on my CNC table I decided to sell this small TD and buy something bigger in the future. I have seen Hypertherm 65/85 have finecut nozzle option. Before I purchase a Hypertherm Powermax 65 I would like to ask you for more details. I will mostly be using 20GA or 12GA stainless steel. I want to get the narrowest kerf width and perfect edge as I would like to cut out small parts of the plate.
    What options Hypertherm offers on finecut range? Can you provide me with Hypertherm item no. of finecut nozzles and their details? Item no/Orifice/amperage? Are they standoff tips or dragtips. I have a Digital THC system so I preffer to use standoff tips.

Thanks Jim

Jim,

Thanks for your detailed answer I just emailed you. .023" wide kerf width on 12GA stainless steel sounds more than great to me. With this info you`ve just "rung the bell". I will definitely go for Hypertherm Powermax 65 but now I have to save money for it.

Thanks