585,938 active members*
3,135 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question AGIE WIRE EDM

Hi Friends,

We are looking to purchase a pre-owned wire edm , our requirement is accuracy of 3-5 microns, we manufacture precision Stamping tools ,
    I have no exposure to Agie/Charmilles m/c's , but has a good exposure to Sodick A320D
    Which model will be particularly recommended for following criteria ?
    a) good accuracy
    b) budget 30-35k USD
    c) high speed is not a pre-requisite
    d) honest m/c
    e) Low electrical / electronic maintenance

I've recd. offer for 1997 AGIE 250HSS at 33k USD, is it recommended to go for this model ?
    Can anyone suggest Checklist before purchasing ?

Atul

Wire EDM

Many 90's Charmilles were built in lower cost countries. I would guess Agie followed along.
    Look for an old Makino U Series if you want to hold this tolerance. This will be the most accurate early 90's machines you might find in this price range. I have 99 right now that holds tighter tolerance than some new machines. The machines are very expensive new but you can sometimes you can get a deal on a new one. I was just offered a Hitachi digital 2000 for 5k. Thats a good machine.

Wire EDM

Many 90's Charmilles were built in lower cost countries. I would guess Agie followed along.
    Look for an old Makino U Series if you want to hold this tolerance. This will be the most accurate early 90's machines you might find in this price range. I have 99 right now that holds tighter tolerance than some new machines. The machines are very expensive new but you can sometimes you can get a deal on a new one. I was just offered a Hitachi digital 2000 for 5k. Thats a good machine.

@jreilleycnc,

thanks for prompt reply, problem with Hitachi in India is about service , the same applies to Makino, the only option left with us is Sodick & Agie Charmilles, in case of sodick for the required accuracy we need to consider Sodick AQ series which is expensive one , but in case of Agie even the older models produce good accuracy.
    My concern with Agie is , The technology is entirely different from Sodick & Its a sensitive m/c , high Maintenance cost ---
    Can anyone please let me know , that my concerns with Agie are valid or unvalid ? and should I consider buying 1997 AGIE 250HSS ?
    We have a small toolroom & produce High precision Progressive Stamping tools, good accuracy & Low maintenance are the Only pre-requisites , I can compromise on cutting speed.

Atul

No Reply ??

96 views , no reply yet... Hmmmm..
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/images/icons/icon5.gif

Atul

The VZ series in the US will hold the 3-5 micron tolerance that you require. I am not sure of how they spec the machine in India but the US machines have a 4 cut generator without the Pika finish circuit. I can hold .0001 inch on these machines if left in an enviroment that has a controlled temperature. The AG series machine is a heavier machine with a generator that is capable of finer finishes and a slightly better tolerance but the VZ series can be a good also. If you need stay in the 30k range look for a A325 mark25 control. These machines are heavy framed with a good generator. The frame is heavy. If you look at the current AG400-600 machines it is the same style frame as the older A325. The biggest worry with this machine will be the ball screws being worn. Also the belt style threader will more than likely need work (most of these threaders this old will). Also the AP600 series machine (green color) was a good heavy machine that would hold good tolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by sodickappsguy View Post
    The VZ series in the US will hold the 3-5 micron tolerance that you require. I am not sure of how they spec the machine in India but the US machines have a 4 cut generator without the Pika finish circuit. I can hold .0001 inch on these machines if left in an enviroment that has a controlled temperature. The AG series machine is a heavier machine with a generator that is capable of finer finishes and a slightly better tolerance but the VZ series can be a good also. If you need stay in the 30k range look for a A325 mark25 control. These machines are heavy framed with a good generator. The frame is heavy. If you look at the current AG400-600 machines it is the same style frame as the older A325. The biggest worry with this machine will be the ball screws being worn. Also the belt style threader will more than likely need work (most of these threaders this old will). Also the AP600 series machine (green color) was a good heavy machine that would hold good tolerance.
    @Yes you are right,
    VZ will certainly hold toln. in that range , but being newly introduced machines its difficult to find pre-owned ones. As regards A325 (older series) spare support from Sodick is not available, also accuracy is in range of 5-8 Microns , hence not considered.
    Atul

AGIE IS THE BEST.

Hi
    The Agie is the most accurate wire edm with the best surface finish all over the world.
    HSS machines are very nice one .
    I have experiment with Agie , charmilles, sodic ,ARD and hitachi machines , and I say that the most accurate machine with best surface finish is only Agie.

Makino is the best

This is up for debate as Agie makes a very good product but I will put Makino against Agie any day. Both Agie and Makino are ahead of the rest in technology and ability in the most difficult applications. We just replaced another popular machine for a 15" tall 20 degree taper that needed a perfect fit. Makino's Duo, which is priced close to the rest of the pack and Agies very high end machine were the only capable repeating machines.

Did not see the earlier post

Sorry did not see the lack of support for Makino. It is surprising as they are highly supported in North America. Based on that, I would go AGIE as well but you will have to sift through the product line as they are connected with Charmilles. Make sure the machine you are getting is built in the country you think it is or the place it is built is controlled by engineers from the company. Charmilles was having machines built for them by other companies. There is no point to do that when you can buy a Chmer or Accutex direct for less

What about Mitsubishi. Ours have been very good and very accurate.