584,861 active members*
5,103 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How do I avoid clamps & a question about overall tool length

How do I avoid clamps & a question about overall tool length

I am using V23 (build 1812) and I have the predator editor (version 2005.7.0.40 - which does not work, but that is for another post). I did learn that the verify predator built in to bobcad doesn't like manual tools.

I have watched all the training videos and either I missed it or it was not covered.

How do I program the tool paths to avoid any clamps that I will of course need to use?

When setting up my tools, I need to enter an overall tool length. Obviously the program needs to know where the end of the tool is in relation to the machine.
    If I use Tormach tool holders, do I measure the length from the rear flange to the tip of the tool?
    Is this the correct OAL to input?
    What about drill bits?
    Should I build a fixture or two to set the drill bits to protrude fixed amounts from the end of the chuck?
    Then add the length of the chuck & Tormach chuck tool adapter?
    In other words is the OAL the distance from the spindle to the tip of the tool?

I know this all seems so simple in theory but in practice ... I am just not finding this information.

"How do I program the tool paths to avoid any clamps that I will of course need to use? "
    Contours can be used in profiling situations.Start point sometimes in pocketing situations.Pick order can be used in drilling and such operations.And you can run the tool path in Bob to see where it wants to go ahead of time,then when you set up,avoid putting clamps in tool path.The most powerful thing a person can do is learn G code so one can edit program to your specific needs in these situations.I myself am working on learning this.The more knowledge we have,the more control we can have.
    As far as the rest of your questions,I only use manual tools so I don't quite know what your asking or don't understand what your asking.Length of tool not matter for my purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigspike View Post
    I am using V23 (build 1812) and I have the predator editor (version 2005.7.0.40 - which does not work, but that is for another post). I did learn that the verify predator built in to bobcad doesn't like manual tools.

I have watched all the training videos and either I missed it or it was not covered.

How do I program the tool paths to avoid any clamps that I will of course need to use?

When setting up my tools, I need to enter an overall tool length. Obviously the program needs to know where the end of the tool is in relation to the machine.
    If I use Tormach tool holders, do I measure the length from the rear flange to the tip of the tool?
    Is this the correct OAL to input?
    What about drill bits?
    Should I build a fixture or two to set the drill bits to protrude fixed amounts from the end of the chuck?
    Then add the length of the chuck & Tormach chuck tool adapter?
    In other words is the OAL the distance from the spindle to the tip of the tool?

I know this all seems so simple in theory but in practice ... I am just not finding this information.
    To be able to create the correct toolpaths to avoid stuff you will need to create any/all fixtures/clamps in your drawing so you can create your geometry in a way that your toolpaths will avoid them, you really need to get your Predator software working because if you have the Level 2 with the backplot you would be able to create solids for all the fixtures/clamps, save them out as .STL files that can be used as part of the stock so you will see in the simulation (Not the Verify) exactly what is going to happen.

The tool lengths set in BobCAD are for use only within the BobCAD environment eg the Verify or Predator Backplot, the lengths are usually not output to the machine, normally the code for tool length would be something like this after the tool change (M06T1) has called for the tool #1:-

G43H1

The G43 tells the machine control to select a tool height and the H1 tells it to use the tool length that has been set in the machine control tool library for tool #1.

You will need to input the tool lengths to your machine control, you should be able to put a chuck in the spindle and then using a small height gauge/toolsetter or just a "slip gauge", put it on the bed and bring the Z axis down till the chuck just touches and make a note of the Z figures on your machine controls screen, now you can do the same with all your tools and simply note the difference between the Z figure for each tool and the original Z figure. That will give you the correct length of each tool relative to the "gauge line" of your spindle.
    Input all those lengths into your tool library on the machine control and you should be good to go. You can if you want also put them into BobCAD Tool Library so you would have a more accurate simulation.

Hope that helps a little

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro: