585,927 active members*
3,535 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 11 of 88 9101112132161
    Your build and drawings look great . Thanks for all your hard work. I know it's somewhere but what is th overall size and cutting area?
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by wallyh
    Your build and drawings look great . Thanks for all your hard work. I know it's somewhere but what is th overall size and cutting area?
    Wally
    25"x49"x7"

Do you have a parts/price breakdown list?
    Herman
    Disclaimer: Not affiliated with any company or business. Happily Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by joe2000che
    Some people have asked for a kit that would not be all the MDF pieces cut but a part of each or the ribs for instance, in which they would use it as a template and produce their own parts from. (this would only be possible for the torsion boxes)
    If I get to the point of ever trying a CNC machine, I would be eager too get a single part and make my duplicates by template routing. For the parts that are special, I would still have to be a customer or resort to traditional manufacture.

Thanks again for publishing your work. It truly is the fuel of my woodworking fantasies.

Dale

Greetings Joe,
    I've got my software and electronics ready. I am going to be ordering some hardware like the Acme rods, drill rod, lovejoys, skate bearings,etc. What I'm really wondering is when a complete X, Y torsion box, gantry, and bearing support blocks/tool holder kit will be available? I would be happy to be a BETA test customer. Big deal if all of the marketing kinks arent worked out, your design speaks volumes! I have some tools for fabrication but I am not interested in reinventing the wheel. Your project looks like it is ready to be rolled out. Let me know what it will take to get this flying. Cabin fever has set in ( having a blizzard today) and am anxious for a good project.
    Best Regards
    BR

Quote Originally Posted by cornfed
    Greetings Joe,
    I've got my software and electronics ready. I am going to be ordering some hardware like the Acme rods, drill rod, lovejoys, skate bearings,etc. What I'm really wondering is when a complete X, Y torsion box, gantry, and bearing support blocks/tool holder kit will be available? I would be happy to be a BETA test customer. Big deal if all of the marketing kinks arent worked out, your design speaks volumes! I have some tools for fabrication but I am not interested in reinventing the wheel. Your project looks like it is ready to be rolled out. Let me know what it will take to get this flying. Cabin fever has set in ( having a blizzard today) and am anxious for a good project.
    Best Regards
    BR
    I will be finished with it by this weekend, I will put the Z axis together with pictures of the rear bearing tensioner also and show how to do it tonight,

I'm trying to make this Log on the forums to serve as a tutorial to put it together, thats why i post so many pictures.

If someone likes they can download the log and make a pdf out of it.

Joe

Got the Z Axis Bearing Slide Installed, Here is a list of the hardware.

4 - U-Bolts (5/16" x 2" x 4-1/2")
    5/16" I.D. Clear Hose

Also Here is the 3/4" drill rod cut to 14 3/4" lengths and ground the ends at slight 45, they fit very tight into the Holes in the Z Axis Carriage.

I will dremel the extra thread which sticks out.

Edit: forgot to mention the hose lengths were cut to 2.75" and I will switch from a Lockwasher and nut to a Locking nut at the end of the U bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails U-Bolt.JPG   Hose.JPG   Z Axis Bearing Slide.JPG   Z Axis Slide Installed.JPG  

Hi Joe,

I have to say that is a very simple solution, I love it. Aquick tighten of the U-Bolts and you get great contact on the drill rod by all of the skate bearings.

You are a cleaver man.

*bow down*

what fodder1 said.

no more lusting after the ability to cast bearing mounts in my back yard.

I think this idea has just simplified the hardware-store router design quite a bit......

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Quote Originally Posted by whirlybomber
    what fodder1 said.

no more lusting after the ability to cast bearing mounts in my back yard.

I think this idea has just simplified the hardware-store router design quite a bit......

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
    Actually take a look at BEONE's design he started. He made basically a cast version of the angle aluminum bearing mounts. They look pretty sweet, since he made it a point to cast flat sides on the top and sides for ease of mounting. Pretty sweet if you have the ability to cast!!!! As for me, Joe's method will do fine.

You must be approaching completion Joe....? Any more progress shots?

I like it...I tried to figure out how to use U-bolts, a few years back, and never came up with anything as elegant as this. I never came up with the last part...the tubing as a means to hold the bearing in position on the U-bolt.

Do you have dimensions for the whole construct? I'd love to build one, just as a proof of concept model! The important elements would be the size of the rod (3/4"), the size of the angle, the length of the spacers for the bearings on the angle, and the size of the U-bolt.

A VERY cool design. BRAVO!

-- Chuck Knight

Joe, You do great work. I enjoy your build log.

Would you post the your plan and parts list with measurements.

Thanks Ron

Quote Originally Posted by chuckknigh
    I like it...I tried to figure out how to use U-bolts, a few years back, and never came up with anything as elegant as this. I never came up with the last part...the tubing as a means to hold the bearing in position on the U-bolt.

Do you have dimensions for the whole construct? I'd love to build one, just as a proof of concept model! The important elements would be the size of the rod (3/4"), the size of the angle, the length of the spacers for the bearings on the angle, and the size of the U-bolt.

A VERY cool design. BRAVO!

-- Chuck Knight
    are you just refering to the Z Axis?

3/4" drill rod, skate bearing slides, using 5/16" bolts and one 5/16" nut for the aliumn. to bearing spacing which puts the bearing almost centered on the rod, and the u-bolt and hose is mentioned here.. http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=208
    the hose is only used as you said to hold the bearing into place.

Quote Originally Posted by scrolleagle
    Joe, You do great work. I enjoy your build log.

Would you post the your plan and parts list with measurements.

Thanks Ron
    I have not done a set of plans, what i did was draw the basic drawings in acad then imported dwg into siolid works extruded to proper thickness and then created the assemblies to make sure everything is lined up and works properly, If someone would like to make detailed drawings then they can from the dwg files or the solidworks files, I really do not have the time to sit down right now to make the drawings maybe later on i can.

Joe,
    I have just sat and read the whole post including the links posted. You are truely a man of vision and more over an acheiver, I looked a building a CNC router a few years ago I did the, "research eBay for slide and steppers" thing.. looked into geko drivers and ended up with analisys paralasys (Sp) late last year I decided on buying a Dayton 8x4ft router table off eBay todate it still is in transit I have phoned customs and I should have my baby in the next two weeks. Once again congrats. could you e-mail me as I would been keen to chat with you [email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by Salty72
    Joe,
    I have just sat and read the whole post including the links posted. You are truely a man of vision and more over an acheiver, I looked a building a CNC router a few years ago I did the, "research eBay for slide and steppers" thing.. looked into geko drivers and ended up with analisys paralasys (Sp) late last year I decided on buying a Dayton 8x4ft router table off eBay todate it still is in transit I have phoned customs and I should have my baby in the next two weeks. Once again congrats. could you e-mail me as I would been keen to chat with you [email protected]
    I liked Joe's New Router so much, I'm buying one of his kits.

Steve

It is a really nice machine.

Joe check your pm
    cadfish
    http://www.burgiengineers.com/

Are there kits available?
    Herman
    Disclaimer: Not affiliated with any company or business. Happily Retired.

Hi, Joe

Could you send me the DXF or DWG files.
    I down loaded the E- Drawing plans but am having trouble opening them.

e-mail [email protected]

Thanks, Ron

Page 11 of 88 9101112132161