584,871 active members*
5,191 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Threaded View

Warren's 1st cnc router log

After weeks of reading and studying this web site, I have now begun building my first cnc router. The setup is based on the plans from www.hobbytoolplans.com but with a few changes. The plans had called for using all 8020 bearings on their extrusions. Because I was not so sure they would work well I had ordered a pair of supported shafts with Thomson open pillowblock bearings for the X axis. I decided to go with the 8020 bearings for the Y and Z axis. After receiving them in the mail and seeing how they felt on the 8020 extrusions, I was very impressed! They moved nicely with no play in them!

The router will have a 52" X axis, 48" Y axis and the Z axis is about 6" I think. I am using the Xylotex 3 axis controller with their Nemo 23 276oz/in. motors. The Ab nuts are from Dumpster and using 1/2-10 acme for the leadscrews along with McMaster lovejoy couplers.

Below are some pics of some parts. I'm about to cut the wooden pieces and start the assembly tonight and tomorrow with more pictures to go.

Wish me luck! :cheers:

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shafts.gif   8020.gif   misc.gif   xylotex.gif