585,760 active members*
3,849 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Warren's 1st cnc router log

After weeks of reading and studying this web site, I have now begun building my first cnc router. The setup is based on the plans from www.hobbytoolplans.com but with a few changes. The plans had called for using all 8020 bearings on their extrusions. Because I was not so sure they would work well I had ordered a pair of supported shafts with Thomson open pillowblock bearings for the X axis. I decided to go with the 8020 bearings for the Y and Z axis. After receiving them in the mail and seeing how they felt on the 8020 extrusions, I was very impressed! They moved nicely with no play in them!

The router will have a 52" X axis, 48" Y axis and the Z axis is about 6" I think. I am using the Xylotex 3 axis controller with their Nemo 23 276oz/in. motors. The Ab nuts are from Dumpster and using 1/2-10 acme for the leadscrews along with McMaster lovejoy couplers.

Below are some pics of some parts. I'm about to cut the wooden pieces and start the assembly tonight and tomorrow with more pictures to go.

Wish me luck! :cheers:

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shafts.gif   8020.gif   misc.gif   xylotex.gif  

Congrats on your start . Remember to get some sleep. Double check your measurements and save yourself the stress of mistakes.

Jason

Good luck Warren! Those 80/20 linear rub blocks....Oh, sorry linear bearings are only useful as guides, let us know how it turns out.

If it turns out that they bind up or don't move as well as needed, I'll modify the machine with some THK rails or something. Hack told me they will work fine for this machine and are precise enough for wood which is all I am doing. I'll be sure to post my results though!

Warren

Warren,

Just a reminder of the rules:

1. Post lot's of pics!
    2. Have fun!
    3. If you have a "signifigant other", make sure to compensate for the extra
    time spent building and do stuff with/for your partner so as to stay out of
    the dog house! Maybe promise to make nice things when you're done.

Good luck!

Evodyne

Thanks for the tips! My wife is out of town for the weekend so I'll be doing as much as I can tomorrow (Saturday). I plan to attach the linear shafts to the extrusions for the X axis and cut/attach the end plates as well. I'll post pics of that tomorrow afternoon.

Warren

Hi Warren I was wondering where you purchased your supported shafts this seems to be my biggest hang up I am building a router that will be 60"X36" hence the need for supported shaft. By the way I can't wait to see the rest of your build have fun.

thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

I got them off of ebay. The seller actually has another set forsale right now. The title of the item is:

4 Thomson Bearing Pillow Block Slide Linear THK NSK

There is 16 hours left on it if you want to watch and bid. Before he had a Buy It Now offer for $150 which I paid. I really wanted to have the linear shaft supported if I was to use shafts. Too many people advised of the flexing without them being supported.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I'll be posting every day while I work on the router.

Warren

Over the weekend I got the linear shafts mounted to the 8020 for the X axis. They are 53" long and supported so I don't have to worry about any flex now.

Today I cut the X axis end plates and bolted them together shown below. Next I will put on the cross members between the bearings and then start on the Y axis end plates. Its coming along!

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shafts_mounted.gif   endplates.gif  

I added the cross members that the X axis leadscrew will be attached to. I couldn't bolt the pillowblock bearings to the 8020 cross members so I used a piece of wood to screw the bearings to and then drilled holes in it and used t-bolts to the 8020. I then cut and bolted one side of the gantry on. I would have had the other side but I drilled the holes wrong - thats what I get for working too late!

Tomorrow I'll put on the other side of the gantry and bolt in the two 8020 pieces with its bearings for the Y axis. The rest will have to wait till the next day since I'm taking my two boys and daughter to see Santa at the mall tomorrow afternoon!

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails yside1.gif  

looking very nice so far...

I don't know if you have more 8020 but if you have enough you could cut down the two pieces that you have there and put two end pieces making a complete rectangle then you could attach the gantry sides with more tslot bolts making it really solid I think this would also get rid of the wood on the bottom just a suggestion looks good the way it is though

I got both sides of the gantry attached and also the Y axis 8020 as shown below. The 8020 bearings are also put on. For anyone who questions these type of bearings, all I have to say is they are tight but move smooth. I don't have any play in them. These are brand new also so that may make a difference.

Next I will be assembling the Z axis. Then install the bearings and leadscrews.

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ydone1.gif   ydone2.gif   ydone3.gif  

Just wondering if doubling up on the wood. if it would make it stiffer and not alow and movement side to side on the gantry.

Joe

I actually thought about that but its pretty stiff now especially since I have the Y axis 8020 added. When I start cutting will tell though.

Warren

I have all of the mechanical parts done almost. I do have to add the top 8020 pieces above the X axis so I can have a cutting surface. But I have the leadscrews and motors mounted. Today I'm going to study the docs and materials that came with my xylotex 3 axis setup for the wiring so I can see this thing move. Again, the whole design is credited to Dan at www.HobbyToolPlans.com. He's been a great help and the plans he offers are super!

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mech1.jpg   mech2.jpg   mech3.jpg  

I've got it running finally! I had made some posts in other areas asking for help with the Mach software and my Xylotex controller and everyone helped alot to where its moving!

Below are some pics of it now. I still have to add the 8020 along the top of the X axis. I've just delayed in that because I hate tapping those threads by hand! But am going to do it today. I also have to cut the router mounts which is easy.

This is running with a 3 axis Xylotex controller and Nemo 23 motors that I got all from xylotex.com. They helped me alot as well.

The plans for the router are from HobbyToolPlans.com - great place with very easy to understand plans with drawings, pictures and explanations on every page. Thanks Dan!

Thanks Ger21, Joe and everyone else! I still have to see it cut but I think its there now. I ran some wizards in Mach 3 and it moved like it was suppose to.

I'll make posts of my first cuts and also put up some videos as well.

Warren
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails running_1.gif   running_2.gif   running_3.gif   running_4.gif  

Btw, I was going to Home Depot to get the Dewault router trimmer today thats about $100 but my wife spent $237 at WalMart today on just food and stuff so looks like I'll have to wait a couple days... Wife and three kids come first!

Warren

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenW
    Btw, I was going to Home Depot to get the Dewault router trimmer today thats about $100 but my wife spent $237 at WalMart today on just food and stuff so looks like I'll have to wait a couple days... Wife and three kids come first!

Warren
    http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...id=00917511000

Joe

Actually I meant a Porter Cable router. I see they have a trimmer model 7310. Then they have a router model 690 or something like that. Does anyone have experience with these? All i mainoy want to do is cut 1/8" birch wood into shapes. And what type of bit is used for this?

Page 1 of 3 123