584,861 active members*
4,877 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > Dyna Mechtronics Yahoo Group: is it still alive?

Dyna Mechtronics Yahoo Group: is it still alive?

Hello

I am doing the retrofit of DYNA MYTE 2800 Mill using the kflop board and Gekko drivers. I have found Yahoo Group related to the Dyna Mechtronics machines, but it seems to be dead for a while. It is for members only and information is not public. I am waiting for the membership for 1 month already and doubt I would ever get it - the group owner doesn't seems to be checking the mail.

Is here anybody from this group who can contact the moderator or the moderator itself? I just wondering, if the group is not active any more, why do not make the information public after all?

The main question I have: The user manual claims what DM 2800 model has ball screws. All the forums says what DM 2800 has ball screws. But the one I have has ACME screws with the backlash compensation mechanism. Is it just very old model? Is it possible to upgrade the ACME screws to the ball screws with the original parts, and if so, did anybody made conversion?

Best regards,
    Alexey

The Dyna group is dead for all intensive purposes. The creator who got ripped off in the purchase of his machine finally gave up since he didnt personally have the machine. Too bad in that case. OTOH from what I have learned about Dyna in my few years of ownership is that there were many variations. The owners of the brand now mostly appear to support the larger machines. They do mean well and will tell you everything they know unfortunately they dont have personal knowledge of those older and smaller machines. I have a 2400 and a 3000. I have found plenty of conflicting information. Is there something in particular you are looking for? Caprirs worked for them years ago and seems to know quite a bit about the larger machines. Post the specific questions and some people will chime in. Btw my 2400 has acme screws and a supernut (what Dyna calls it). Solid machines.

Thanks for the information.
    I have taken the machine apart to be able to move it to the new home. That's the only way I was able to tell the machine has ACME screws with "super-nut". It is a little bit disappointing but running it from the original controller I was reading the backlash less than 0.02mm, so it seems to be quite good.
    Also I would quite surprised to find the plastic gearing instead of the timing belts. From my understanding, ACME would limit the maximum speed and acceleration due higher friction and the gears would add the backlash (probably it is the only source of the backlash I have right now).
    I have been ripped off also, it is no way to find decent bench top machine and do not overpay for it. Hope to make the machine to pay for itself one day.

Best regards,
    Alexey

Well I don't what you paid but the 2800 is no benchtop machine. It is very capable. The acme screws, supernuts and gear reduction system perform very well with high accuracy. Speed is not its strong suit though I have seen some direct drive conversions that worked well according to the builders. If you got a Dyna in good shape, you got a great machine and or start. This is not an x2/3, or a G0704, it is a high quality well designed piece of machinery. Cliff, the creator/ moderator of the yahoo group never received his though he paid for it. Making a legal claim has done nothing but waste more of his time and money most likely.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Btw, the speed is limited by the 10:1 reduction on the metric screw more than friction IMO (I am in the 101000 steps per unit range (inch) ). It also has an auto oiler doesn't it? IIRC screws too.
    A lazy man does it twice.

Sorry, I didn't get it in the first read, English is not my native language.
    Sounds pretty bad. My purchase is far away from what happend, I just got AS-IS hardware UNKNOWN CONDITION for the price of the running machine, IMHO.
    Still, it is a bench top machine in terms of the working cube. Very precise, capable but a little bit small. I am an prototype engineer and doing some freelancing from time to time, so I got the machine in hope to make my life a little bit easier (sounds stupid, accounting for amount of work I have done on the machine already and planing to do).
    The gear ratio is 5 to 1, if I recall correctly. It is quite simple to make it 2.5 or even 1:1 using timing pulleys, just wondering if original steppers would handle the load. It is capable of 800lbs with the original gear rate, driving directly would require much bigger steppers or servos (would be ideal but quite expensive).
    Yes, it has the automatic oiler with quite strange logic: it works does not matter if you running the machine or if it is just powered up.

Best regards,
    Alexey