585,728 active members*
4,120 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Surface Grinders

I am in the market for a used surface grinder with 32" or more of stroke. I am curious what brand to shop for. Okamoto seems to hold their value. What about Chevalier? Kent? Brown and Sharpe? There are many on the used market with the features I want, but I have never owned anything other than a DoAll. I want a parallel wheel dresser (over/beside the wheel) and IDF (3rd axis). What brand(s) should I be looking at and what brand(s) should I steer away from? Thanks.

There are more questionable surface grinders than good ones. Look for wide base machines that don't "droop" when at long strokes.

If you select a used machine make sure the "demagnetizer" works. A fine pitch magnet will secure smaller parts than one with coarse spacing.

Thompson, Grand Rapids, Gallmeyer & Livingston, Blohm and? always made sturdy machines. We have a Brown & Sharpe, very accurate but a little low on power.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Re: Surface Grinders

I have an Okamoto grinder with an OS Walker Mag Table. We have had an issue with the table not demagnetizing. I replace the switch and now I continue to pop fuses. (F3). Anybody ever have this issue or have an idea?

WGJ

Out of all you have looked at the Okamoto is by far the best,I have only used new Okamoto machines, I don't know how the used ones are,you should be able to tell, if the grinder has been looked after, used or abused
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by okroyo View Post
    I have an Okamoto grinder with an OS Walker Mag Table. We have had an issue with the table not demagnetizing. I replace the switch and now I continue to pop fuses. (F3). Anybody ever have this issue or have an idea?
    If you are blowing fuses, you have a dead short somewhere, check that the switch has been installed correct, & then check all the cables/wires

Why did they not use the Mag table that Okamoto offers,they have the Demag built into the machine control, they work just as good if not better than the OS Walker chuck
    Mactec54