584,805 active members*
5,350 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Phase Converters > Huanyang VFD Troubleshooting

Hybrid View

Huanyang VFD Troubleshooting

Hello,

I'm trying to use a 220V 3kw Huanyang inverter to convert single phase power to 3 phase to drive an ultrasonic welder (through a sine wave filter), but I'm having issues getting the output voltage correct. I have it set for 60 Hz output, the dc voltage is right around 310 V, but the ac voltage is consistently showing 42.9 V and nothing is working. Even when unloaded or the output disconnected, that same ac voltage shows up and I have been unable to adjust it. Measuring with a multimeter confirms the voltage at about 43VAC. No setting leaps out at me as a way to adjust the output voltage.

I've sent a lot of settings data to the sellers, but all I've gotten in return so far was apologies for the problem and that it would be fixed. I'm somewhat pigeon holed into using the VFD for 3 phase conversion because my shop only has single phase power and a only a 20 amp breaker (inrush current severely crimps my ability to use a decent sized rotary converter).

Does anyone know what the unloaded VAC output of these VFD are supposed to be? Does anyone know of any way to adjust it, or is this unit toast?

Thank you,

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.morgret View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to use a 220V 3kw Huanyang inverter to convert single phase power to 3 phase to drive an ultrasonic welder (through a sine wave filter), but I'm having issues getting the output voltage correct. I have it set for 60 Hz output, the dc voltage is right around 310 V, but the ac voltage is consistently showing 42.9 V and nothing is working. Even when unloaded or the output disconnected, that same ac voltage shows up and I have been unable to adjust it. Measuring with a multimeter confirms the voltage at about 43VAC. No setting leaps out at me as a way to adjust the output voltage.

I've sent a lot of settings data to the sellers, but all I've gotten in return so far was apologies for the problem and that it would be fixed. I'm somewhat pigeon holed into using the VFD for 3 phase conversion because my shop only has single phase power and a only a 20 amp breaker (inrush current severely crimps my ability to use a decent sized rotary converter).

Does anyone know what the unloaded VAC output of these VFD are supposed to be? Does anyone know of any way to adjust it, or is this unit toast?

Thank you,

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models
    There would be no adjustment on the output voltage, a VFD is going to fix the output voltage as a percentage of maximum that is proportional to the commanded frequency, it is intended to provide a constant V/Hz ratio to a motor. So if you set up the drive to give you 60Hz max, the voltage should be at max.

I know nothing about that piece of Communist Chinese junk, they are flooding the FleaBay market with low prices and zero support, so to that extent "you gets what you pays for". From what I have seen, you are not alone in your travails about this drive.

But in general, if it has a "Energy Saver" feature, as most do, and you have it in that mode, it may be looking at what it interprets the motor load to be and is automatically lowering the output to be only what is necessary. If it's not in Energy Saver mode, a similar thing may happen if it is a Vector drive and is in Vector mode, as opposed to V/Hz mode. Go through your programming and make sure it is in V/Hz mode and the Energy Saver is disabled.

Re: Huanyang VFD Troubleshooting

When VFD drives are wrong, if you have learned the basic steps about how to troubleshoot it, then it can help you save a lot of time.
    You can get more details about VFD troubleshooting here.

have you tried measuring output with the meter set to dc volts?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen.morgret View Post
    Hello,

Thank you,

Stephen Morgret
    Strike Models
    The only thing you can Drive with a VFD is a AC motor, there are ways to correct the output of a VFD and get a normal sine wave, but as they are, there output can only run a 3 phase AC motor, there is no exception to this, you aren't the first to try this, and won't be the last, be careful what you wire to the VFD either one can be damaged, beyond repair

Note you can not measure the output of your VFD with a normal meter, you can also damage the VFD by doing so
    Mactec54

Quote Originally Posted by mactec54 View Post
    The only thing you can Drive with a VFD is a AC motor, there are ways to correct the output of a VFD and get a normal sine wave, but as they are, there output can only run a 3 phase AC motor, there is no exception to this, you aren't the first to try this, and won't be the last, be careful what you wire to the VFD either one can be damaged, beyond repair

Note you can not measure the output of your VFD with a normal meter, you can also damage the VFD by doing so
    Could you please explain why you can not measure VFD output with a normal multi-meter? I tried with both of my multi-meters and got 7-800 volts with one meter and 40-50 volts DC reading with another meter...both are totally wrong. I've read two posts since saying it can damage your VFD, so I tried mine and thankfully it still works fine. But would like to understand why. I'm a farm kid and we test 480v/3phase electric motor line supply by going 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, and they generally are all within a couple volts of being at 480.

Quote Originally Posted by jbar View Post
    Could you please explain why you can not measure VFD output with a normal multi-meter? I tried with both of my multi-meters and got 7-800 volts with one meter and 40-50 volts DC reading with another meter...both are totally wrong. I've read two posts since saying it can damage your VFD, so I tried mine and thankfully it still works fine. But would like to understand why. I'm a farm kid and we test 480v/3phase electric motor line supply by going 1-2, 2-3, 1-3, and they generally are all within a couple volts of being at 480.
    A normal meter can't accurately read the output voltage because of the switching frequency of the transistors in most cases

It's mostly because of the PWM Wave Form your meter won't recognize it, it is not a normal AC Sine Wave, expensive fluke meters can read the output voltage, a normal meter can sometimes damage the IGBT which is the main power output module

Here is a link to a simple explanation on what is happening with the power at the output of a VFD Drive

VFD PWM Waveform
    Mactec54

What’s the best hy vfd part number for a 2.2 spindle?