Hi,

New to the forum, first post. I have a J head 1968 Bridgeport that's in great shape. I want to pursue converting it to a cnc hobby, (maybe more than a hobby), machine, as this is its main purpose so far.

I am looking for books that will layout what the differences are in CNC system configurations for the mill. Such as, the difference between stepper and servo drives, power supply requirements, control systems, ect. I obviously need to start at the beginners level. I need to learn quite a bit before I start throwing money at my mill, to reduce costly mistakes. So any recommendations for reading material, i.e., books, web pages, ect. That starts simple and help sort the overwhelming information overload that I am experiencing and helps me focus on my goal would be appreciated.

Of course I consider this forum to be home base and the best source for my intellectual gain and practical needs throughout my transformation from manual to automated control.

I am also looking forward to meeting the gurus and not so gurus on the forum.

By chance, if anyone lived close enough to where I reside, my home is in Valley Springs, CA in the beautiful, (spring time), Sierra Foothills. I would consider it a great opportunity to meet and exchange help and information with anyone inclined to do so.

Regards,
Paul Austin