584,837 active members*
5,391 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Visual Mill > BobCad Vs. Visual Mill. Which one to Buy.
Page 2 of 2 12
    I would like to thank Erick for taking the time to explain his BobCAD experience. To be fair the version that Erick worked with was our V19 Mill package and this happened a number of years ago, but that's no excuse.

I would like to publicly apologize for how Erick's account was handled. In our CRM it's not clear exactly what happened, but the short of it, Erick was not able to use the software for what it was purchased for. I have made an offer to make amends with Erick.
    Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

PM sent Al. Thanks for reaching out.

I use both, but it is better VisualMill

LP Mare

I have BobCad V25 and just bought Visual Mill STD 2014. I paid WAY more for Visual Mill, but it was worth it. Wasn't a fan of the constant (ie. 12+ times a year) sales calls from the BobCad sales reps. To be fair, the training videos for Bob Cad were excellent. However, I have gotten more done with the tutorials that were on Mecsoft's website.

Re: BobCad Vs. Visual Mill. Which one to Buy.

Any updates on this topic? More specifically VM 2014?

This topic is no longer relevant considering VM is close to 3 times the price of BC
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    This topic is no longer relevant considering VM is close to 3 times the price of BC
    With three times the better performance?

I can't answer that.
    I do not use BC and my version of VM is not current.
    My point was that at the time this thread started they both had versions at a comparable price point

Sorry to drag this up again! I am putting together a CNC 10x22 lathe (Grizzly G0602) and looking for a lathe CAM solution. While I'm at it, I thought I might take a look at various vendor's 3D milling CAM solutions too - I currently use VCarvePro for my 2-1/2D work but starting to do more 3D work that it can't support. So, it makes sense to look at 3D CAM solutions at the same time.

I am confused by DareBee's comment on pricing. Looking at BobCAD and VisualCAM pricing today (it is great that they both put their pricing on-line), BobCAD is much more expensive than VisualMill:

BC lathe: $1995
    VM lathe: $1250

BC 3 axis mill: $2495
    VM Standard $1250 (this seems to be the best apples-to-apples comparison to BC 3 axis)

I am a RhinoCAD user so the VM integration with Rhino is compelling. I've contacted VM for a demo of their products.

I've also looked at/demo'd SprutCAM and was very impressed with it's interface and feature set. It is in the same pricing ball park as VM - at least list prices. I gather that BC will reduce the price to make a sale. Not sure about VM. SprutCAMAmerica claims "no hassle pricing" (like the old Saturn cars) so I assume there is no wiggle room on pricing with them.

regards,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

I'm an authorized Mecsoft dealer and I sell VisualMill, VisualTurn, RhinoCAM and all the other Mecsoft products at a discount. If you want some "wiggle-room", get in touch.
    Andrew Werby
    Website

@ Michael
    It slipped my mind that VM had a basic version.
    Mostly due to the fact that it is missing so many features that I find necessary I would not consider it

I have Bobcad V24 to be honnest i have not used it very much. but what i have i am not very impressed. I am Less impressed with Bobcad sales reps Calling me 10 times a week. if you want bob cad you can get the v 27 mill and lathe package for around $2000.00 thats what they quoted me. The rep Eddy has aggitated me to the point i wounld not take it if it was free!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DareBee View Post
    @ Michael
    It slipped my mind that VM had a basic version.
    Mostly due to the fact that it is missing so many features that I find necessary I would not consider it
    I'm new to milling. Can you spell out what features are missing in visual mill?

Are the features in Mecsoft Visual Mill the same as Mechsoft Visual CAM-MILL for SolidWorks?

Yes, VisualMill has the same features. As the Mecsoft site puts it: "VisualMILL, our flag-ship CAM software package, is ideal for mold, die & tooling, wood working, rapid-prototyping and general machining. VisualMILL is one of five modules in our standalone CAD/CAM suite, VisualCAD/CAM." There are versions of VisualMill that plug into Rhino, Geomagic Design, and Solidworks. There are also the Standard, Expert, Pro and Premium levels of the product, each of which has more features than the previous one and costs twice as much. You can look at the feature list on the Mecsoft site and choose a version that meets your needs and/or budget: VisualMill CAM software package - Computer Aided Manufacturing CAM software for mold, die and tooling, wood working, rapid-prototyping, general machining. You can also start with the Standard version and upgrade as you become more familiar with the CAM process and start feeling the need for more advanced features.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com ? Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software
    Andrew Werby
    Website

Hi jjg

I evaluated a number of CAM packages during my search and found VM to be the most intuitive to use. I use TurboCAD Pro Plat 21 to create my geometry, then import it into the CAM package. I tried a demo of BobCAD but I just could'nt understand it. In VM I was generating toolpaths within 30 minutes of first use.

Page 2 of 2 12