585,605 active members*
3,086 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

MachStdMill Turn and Mill-Turn Announcement

Hi,
    Have you ever wanted some CNC lathe parts, but don’t have a CNC lathe? Yet you do have a CNC mill?

Mach mill owners outnumber lathe owners, making this a common situation. Tilt your head sideways and squint a tad while looking at your vertical mill and you’ll see a lathe (hanging by the spindle from the ceiling). ;-)

While the concept is not unique, the details of dealing with the extra axes stop most folks from using their mill as a lathe. The MSM Turn support facilities were designed with Mill-Turn operations as the core goal. We figured that if we did the design well, the usual 2 axis lathe support would be a sub set of the Mill-Turn design….

I want to let folks know that after a successful Alpha test program, the new MSM Turn and Mill-Turn features sets are now available for general beta use.

Turn:
    The new turn screens utilize the logical work flow to that has proven popular with the MSM Mill software. The Turn screens are now included in the MSM Personal Edition software and they support a full set of Mach Lathe abilities.

Mill-Turn:
    The MSM Mill-Turn support allows you to run Lathe g-code on your mill.
    The basic design approach was to
    1) make it easy to set up Lathe tooling (including offsets in X,Z and Y) on a mill, and
    2) handle the Mill unique aspects of turning operations during the tool change sequence.
    This approach enables one to run unmodified lathe g-code on the mill: No lathe g-code modifications are necessary to do turning on the mill. The Mill-Turn screens provide the UI for this feature set.

The MSM probing features have also been extended to operate within Mach’s lathe mode, and new probing Ops can be utilized to quickly setup lathe tooling. MSM Mill-Turn features are included in the MSM Professional Edition software.

MSM Turn and Mill-Turn include screens for both “10x7 and “12x10” resolution (or larger) monitors.

If you are not currently an MSM user, you can try out both Turn and Mill-Turn without cost – as both feature sets are fully functional on MSM trial installations.

More information is available on the CVI web site.
    Calypso Ventures

There are videos of the screens in action at
    Turn & Mill-Turn Videos

Complete user documentation and the software is available from the MSM beta download page:
    MSM beta Download Page

You can also visit the MSM user support forum here:
    MSM User Forums

Dave

Hi,
    The recent publication of the article about MSM Mill-Turn in Digital Machinist Magazine prompted some to tell me that the link in the prior post was out of date.

Since the original post was written, the MSM Turn and Mill-Turn features progressed from beta to productions release status.

Thus the software is available form the MSM production release download page:
    MSM Production Release Download Page

Turn support is available in both the Personal and Professional editions and Mill-Turn is part of the Professional edition only.

Dave

Dave

Just a note of thanks for a super product. Have been using MSM on my lathe & mill to the point where I can't find anything on a Mach3 screen.

For anyone who hasn't tried this product it is far more than just a collection of screens. MSM has its own tool table and offers multiple tool modes including a Master Tool mode with calculated offsets. Its probing functions are numerous and cover virtually every possibility.
    If you are looking for clean, crisp screen layouts with plenty of function MSM offers it.

The free lathe screenset offers a stripped down version of the mill set so it is instantly familiar. Try saying that for the Mach3 screen.

I have attached some sample screen shots.

John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Load.jpg   Run-1.jpg   Run-Path.jpg   Settings.jpg  

Tooling.jpg   WC Offset - Touch Off.jpg   WC Offset - Probe-1.jpg   WC Offset - Probe-2.jpg  

WC Offset - Probe-3.jpg   WC Offset - Probe-4.jpg   WC Offset - Probe-5.jpg   WC Offset - Probe-6.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMachining View Post
    Dave

Just a note of thanks for a super product. Have been using MSM on my lathe & mill to the point where I can't find anything on a Mach3 screen.

For anyone who hasn't tried this product it is far more than just a collection of screens. MSM has its own tool table and offers multiple tool modes including a Master Tool mode with calculated offsets. Its probing functions are numerous and cover virtually every possibility.
    If you are looking for clean, crisp screen layouts with plenty of function MSM offers it.

The free lathe screenset offers a stripped down version of the mill set so it is instantly familiar. Try saying that for the Mach3 screen.

I have attached some sample screen shots.

John
    +1. I bought the Calypso screen based on John's post on my thread. Best screen I've used to date. Even has auto and toolchange probing macros built in.

Digital Machinist Articles-_MSM-

Just noticed that MSM has updated their website to include a series of three articles that were published in Digital Machinist.

These articles provide a look at the inner workings and capabilities of MSM.

As they were published prior to the latest release of MSM, they do not include Mill Lathe and Mill-Turn, none the less they do provide insight to the overall product.

See Calypso Ventures | MSM | Overview.

John

Link to the articles: Calypso Ventures, Inc.