585,679 active members*
4,959 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Gecko - close to computer or close to motor?

Gecko - close to computer or close to motor?

Hi Guys,

When I buy my gecko and stepper motors, I will need to work out where the geckos are placed. Either I place all three geckos in with the rest of the electronics or place each one adjacent to the motor it will serve.

Which alternative is better and why?

Factors I can think of are signal failures; cost of shielded cable; exposure to dust, vibration, knocks, etc.

What do most people do and why?

Andy

Placement of the Gecko drives is not critical. The motors can be several feet from the drives. Also, the motor cables do not have to be shielded.

The only semi-critical part of the installation is the step and direction signals to each of the drives. I recommend using a 2 conductor cable for each drive with the step signal on one of the wires, and the direction on the other. If any cable is shielded, it should be these cables. If shielded cable is used,
    CONNECT THE SHIELD ONLY AT ONE END TO CHASSIS GROUND. Cut the shield wire off flush with insulation at the other end.

If there is one critical thing, it would be to keep the step and direction cables away from the power supply and motor cables. Keep the two seperated by at least two or three inches, unless they are shielded.

Main thing is to mount the Gecko drives on heatsinks with fan cooling as per the drawings on posts by Benny (Sticky by Ynneb) on this site.

Hope this gets you started.
    Jerry