584,808 active members*
5,040 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > Thoughts on 2007 Hyundai Kia SKT-15 for $30k

Thoughts on 2007 Hyundai Kia SKT-15 for $30k

I have been presented with the potential opportunity to buy a 2007 Hyundai Kia SKT-15 turning center with ~1700 hours (not sure if cutting, spindle, or power on yet) for $30k. This is a 2-axis 6000 RPM 15 hp 12 tool turret machine with tailstock, 6" hydraulic chuck, and 1-3/4" bar capacity. I believe the machine has a Fanuc 0i-T control on it. A side-discharge chip convenyor would likely be included in this price. I'm looking for some feedback:

-Is the $30k price good
    -What do people think of Hyundai Kia machines in general; and specifically their turning centers of this size - are they reliable, rigid, etc.?
    -What do people think of the Fanuc 0i-T control?
    -If people had the choice of this vs a Haas SL-10, which would you choose and why?

I am going to travel to look at the machine in person early next week.

Thanks,
    -Brian

thats one of Hyundai's most popular models. It has a auto (one touch) servo driven tail stock and its also programmable. A new one with a CC runs $69,000 so I would say its a good buy assuming average condition. Its lower HP doesn't make it a good heavy steel cutter but for the price, your not getting hurt on the deal. It's a pretty fast reliable little machine.

We have a 2010 SKT 15 LMS. all I will say is dont hit the sub with the turret the machine runs three shift so I dont know what happened .When I went to set up a sub- spindle job .all the screws that bolt the linear rails down were broke and the ball screw was bent took me two days to fix it....

I run a 1996 Kia SKT21 also a 2006 Kia KV25P.
    The machines aren't bad but Kia service and support pretty much sucks.
    At least that has been my experience with them.
    Haas machines aren't bad and they actually have decent service and support.

Good luck,
    Maz

Kia Machine

That is not too bad for todays used machine prices. You should be able to get a new one for less than twice that with warranty. I have heard Kia's service is not the greatest but in falls into 2-3rd tier machinery on a scale of 1-5. Haas is a tier 5 machine and from a construction standpoint there is no comparison.
    Haas has a cult following. Part of it is that the control is user friendly.
    If you could see the machines under under the sheet metal side by side, you would not compare the two. I hear Haas machines are getting better, but when you look at a machine, you see astetics and they have very nice sheet metal. The kia would be more accurate, able to handle bigger cuts, need less service, use motors built by Fanuc instead of Linclon electric. The look good, they are cheap and if you are not comparing the machine next to something good, it will look like it is pretty good. The construction is poor and the specs are misleading but you will find a large group that wouldn't use anything else (if possible). Most Hass users become very familiar with the service guys. You will make new friends.

Machine not available

The machine I mentioned above is no longer available as the current owner decided not to sell it. I did find another Hyundai HiT 8S that I purchased instead.