585,737 active members*
4,817 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question NZ Turret Indexing

Hi guys,
    When changing over tools on the top turret I've noticed metal particles (like needles and glitter) in the oil that pools within.
    Looking at the mill drive itself appears ok.
    But the track that the dog travels through in both directions is getting pretty beaten up. More so in the positive direction. The damage lessens the further you travel away with almost none for the opposite half.
    I can't see how the live tools could move within the track with force enough to damage it, unless they're not orientated correctly before indexing, but I would expect to see damage at the mill drive itself if that were the case.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Your milling drive needs too be re zero returned and alignment check done on the turret and milling drive. Three things I know of causes this, the slot for the live tool drive is just slightly out of alignment, so it will just grab the tool holder dog as it goes through. The other thing I've seen, although very rare , is the whole slot is offset in relation to the stationary slot around the turret. Or the turret is off center from a crash, so the holder tab is not rotating in the center of the drive. Either way, it's not for the novice to re align this, it can get challenging.

Underthetire is right. We've got an NZ and a ZT at work.WE had the same problem with the ZT and got technicians from Brisbane to replace the entire internals of the turret as the misalignment was quite severe and should have been addressed sooner. Also what you see is exactly the same as we had severe scolloping in the track as you call it and no visible damage to the driven tool. If you listen you will also here a bad noise as the turret rotates off the driven tools.

Thanks for response guys,
    the info gives me some specific places to look at now.

The machine has not been crashed, but was completely rebuilt after going for a swim, so maybe some misalignment crept in during that.

Blue1, we're based in Brisbane and use Qumac for our Mori Seiki needs. How about you?

Yes zooloader we use them to and expect a visit in the next couple of weeks, but its a plane ride for them as we are in Mackay.
    I would not have been able to go as far as i have without their support. The team there repaired our ZT and did a modification on the NZ turrets so they would be a great help. Heard through the grape vine some machines down there weren't even commissioned when they got wet so i guess that is your shop, got a friend in Bundamba that went under also.