585,665 active members*
3,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Home switch setup (pulling my hair out)

Home switch setup (pulling my hair out)

Hello everyone. I am trying to setup homing switches on my mill, but mach3 gets no signal. I have a Damen cnc BOB and have wired the y axis wire to port 1 pin 4 and 3 on the BOB. It triggers the signal on the BOB but Mach3 does not read it. What am I doing wrong!!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOB.jpg  

Can you provide some more information?

Are you using a normally-closed mechanical switch, or an inductive proximity sensor, or an optical or hall-effect switch, or something else?

Are you trying to use port 1 pins 3 and 4 as inputs? You should be able to use only a single input for a home or limit switch. Do the BOB terminal numbers correspond to the LPT port pin numbers? If not, what is the mapping between BOB terminal numbers and LPT port pin numbers?

If you are using a mechanical switch, do you have a pull-up resistor wired to the NC switch contact and +5 volts?

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlberg View Post
    Hello everyone. I am trying to setup homing switches on my mill, but mach3 gets no signal. I have a Damen cnc BOB and have wired the y axis wire to port 1 pin 4 and 3 on the BOB. It triggers the signal on the BOB but Mach3 does not read it. What am I doing wrong!!!!!!
    Make sure that you have all of your settings correct in Mach3. config => ports and pins => input signals. Make sure that the port number is not 0. It should be a 1 if you have one printer port. Also on bottom of that page is an Auto setup for input pin detection. It helped me out!
    hope this helps
    farmertom
    http://cncartwork.weebly.com/index.html

I just realized that the lpt cable I used, only had 9 leaders in it, so I will try another one, this will proberbly work. I will post as soon as I have tried.

Just as I thought, it was the lpt cable, so now the switches work. now I have another problem, witch is: when I home the Y axis it triggers the switch and go back untill the switch closes again (N/C switches), but when I tries to home the Z axis it triggers the switch and then stops and errors. What am I doing wrong???

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlberg View Post
    Just as I thought, it was the lpt cable, so now the switches work. now I have another problem, witch is: when I home the Y axis it triggers the switch and go back untill the switch closes again (N/C switches), but when I tries to home the Z axis it triggers the switch and then stops and errors. What am I doing wrong???
    Have you tried swapping out the switch? I had something similar on mine, and I think my switch was bouncy or on the way out.

My theory was that it triggered and opened the switch, backed up enough to close it long enough to trigger Mach, stopped the movement, and then it bounced open, triggering the fault.

My home switches is working now, thanks for your help everyone

Increase the debounce setting if you keep having problems.