585,771 active members*
4,110 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Tools / Tooling Technology > CNC Tooling > Tool Life Management - worth it?

Tool Life Management - worth it?

Are tool life management options or program modifications really worth the effort or can a well-trained operator effectively manage a machine without them?

I don't have enough time or space to tell you all the reasons why it is unequivocally worth it. The best operator can do even better with it. If you can tie load monitoring with it, priceless. I wouldn't run a machine without it anymore. Saves time, money, aggravation, potential for scrap , etc.......

Depends on what you use the machine for. Some place that only works with delrin, nylon, and PVC 30 hours a week will not likely get much use from it. A place running 24/7 production of G10, carbon fiber, stainless, high temp alloys, etc. cannot live without such features. Without knowing what you do with a machine, there's no way to advise if that option would benefit you.

We turn bearings 24/7 on Mori Seiki lathes. Mostly 52100 steel.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessiffel View Post
    I don't have enough time or space to tell you all the reasons why it is unequivocally worth it. The best operator can do even better with it. If you can tie load monitoring with it, priceless. I wouldn't run a machine without it anymore. Saves time, money, aggravation, potential for scrap , etc.......
    Can you offer some advice or tips about this?

Hey guys,

If your machining any non ferrous materials and are looking for tooling I am the guy to talk to. Our end mills, drills, and threadmills last at least 20% longer compared to any other diamond coated end mill on the market today. Our standard sizes range from 1/64" to 1/2" with special sizing up to 3/4". PM me for more info.
    Thanks,
    Nick

As noted, in a production environment, repeating the same parts or family of parts over and over, it can help. Might even want to consider adding tool breakage detection.

Quote Originally Posted by jamessiffel View Post
    What are the options for Load Monitoring? I'm trying to get it going on a Mori SL-200 and a ZL-200 with MSC-501 controllers. My Mori dealer is really dragging on this (I'm not sure they really know what they are doing when it comes to this stuff). Are there other companies that offer it? Has anyone used the MTConnect standard for tool life and load monitoring?

Adamacious! Your controls do or do not come standard with Tool life management or monitoring? I've only ever used it on okuma osp controls which has it already. Mtconnect is great if you can afford it, it will pay off in no time! TMAC from Caron Engineering is absolutely who I would go with if I needed it! I saw a demonstration of it and it is amazing, fully comprehensive and it can be tailored to however you choose to use it! Out here on the east coast there is a company called Maruka who work on Mori's but I don't know about software? Fanuc, maybe? Are you aware of Mori Seiki University in Chicago? Seriously , check them out online!

Sorry. Adamacious , I just saw your request for tips and advice. Without standing next to you at the controls it would take too long to type out everything. Just get it, figure it out(its not that hard, really), and don't ever go back to guessing at everything! I don't care how good a machinist is, without tool life management and monitoring you are only guessing when your tools are no good!

I appreciate the advice, thanks a lot! I've been looking into getting it on our machines and I just haven't found something I'm completely satisfied with. I'm checking out Caron Engineering now and I'll look into the university. Thanks again!

No problem! Sorry I can't help more! I ran a Mori once but I'm only around Okuma's now. Try asking in the Mori forum, any general questions feel free to send me private messages! I know the university is a gold mine of info for your brand though!