585,967 active members*
4,449 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Techno CnC service

Anyone know of a service company for Techno CnC tables in Oregon?

I service my own machines and actually have made replacement components that work better than the Techno default hardware. In fact, I have 2 bearing housings that work better than the cluster f--- spherical bearing combination and use angular contact bearings instead of the default radial bearings. Unlike many machines out there, the Techno is quite easy to service, once you get past that fear of breaking something. Only one beef with Techno has to do with their linear bearings. The most common failure is the plastic race that houses the bearings. When it warps, the entire bearing assembly has to be swapped out, I source the actual ball bearings from Enco, and generally use one new assembly to repair 2 broken ones, which reduces repair expenses by 50%. In the near future, I'll be able to make an injection molded replacement. As for the actual motor mount assemblies, I'll be modifying my own to put the motor in the middle. My own machine is a 1998 version and runs with OreTek Micromill code, an in-house language designed for the machinist to understand.
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com

Thanks for the info, what we really have a need for is squareing our tool. This is a new table and really would like someone with experience to do it the first time so we can see it being done. Our table is out of square and basically useless until fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by joejared View Post
    I service my own machines and actually have made replacement components that work better than the Techno default hardware. In fact, I have 2 bearing housings that work better than the cluster f--- spherical bearing combination and use angular contact bearings instead of the default radial bearings. Unlike many machines out there, the Techno is quite easy to service, once you get past that fear of breaking something. Only one beef with Techno has to do with their linear bearings. The most common failure is the plastic race that houses the bearings. When it warps, the entire bearing assembly has to be swapped out, I source the actual ball bearings from Enco, and generally use one new assembly to repair 2 broken ones, which reduces repair expenses by 50%. In the near future, I'll be able to make an injection molded replacement. As for the actual motor mount assemblies, I'll be modifying my own to put the motor in the middle. My own machine is a 1998 version and runs with OreTek Micromill code, an in-house language designed for the machinist to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightbeam View Post
    Thanks for the info, what we really have a need for is squareing our tool. This is a new table and really would like someone with experience to do it the first time so we can see it being done. Our table is out of square and basically useless until fixed.

Easy enough. Got a 2 foot square? If so, also get an feeler type indicator, align the square to the non-gantry, and then adjust the gantry axis until the indicator reads close to 0.000" over 2 feet. I have done this particular task myself. Feel free to call if you have questions, but it's really not as difficult as it sounds. For the Z axis, once x and y are squared up, you can use that same gauge to align your spindle, but that is not nearly as critical for most applications.
    Joe Jared - OsiruSoft Research and Engineering - http://www.oretek.com

Rosco Precision Machinery, LLC
    4114 “B” Place NW Unit 105, Auburn WA 98001
    Email: [email protected]
    Phone: 206.818.6813
    Christopher @Techno Inc. CNC Router Systems
    Tech Services Department (http://technorouters.com/help TechnoWiki)

Not sure if you are still looking for help, but I found these people in Washington... Northwest Technical Products, Inc.

I talked with Luke about helping me with my ATC retrofit and he will get back to me later today...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by joejared View Post
    Only one beef with Techno has to do with their linear bearings. The most common failure is the plastic race that houses the bearings. When it warps, the entire bearing assembly has to be swapped out
    I'm in the same boat right now. So frustrating. Instead of being able to purchase the cheep plastic race, I had to disassemble all 10 linear bearings on my machine, clean everything out, check all of the races, combine the good ones, scrap the old ones, repack the bearings and now I'll have to drop $265 on each new carriage assembly that I couldn't piece together. Very frustrating that a $2 plastic piece breaks and Techno's only solution is for me to drop $265 on a new carriage. I contacted Isel in Germany because they're the ones that make the whole assembly. Will repost when I hear back.

If Isel can provide a part number for that specific piece separate of the carriage assembly please post it here.

We will order them and stock them if said part number can be provided.

Question

There is another question that was asked by one of our engineers pertaining to this issue:

The plastic portion of the linear bearings should not be wearing down much and certainly at least not quickly. We have customers with 10+ year old machines that run them 5days/40hrs all year and run the same carriages as original.

I'm not saying I haven't seen the need to replace the Series 400/500 carriage however there may be a problem with your machine if you're going through more than 1-2 during the lifespan of the router.

There are so many variables from what type of material you cut to the average temperature in your shop while in operation but just keep in mind this is not a frequently replaced unit. If continuous wear is occurring we may need to look at re-indication/squaring and/or additional lubrication.